MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Restore a deleted board
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well simply put someone decided it would be a great idea to hack and delete one of my forum's boards. So my question is this, how would I go about restoring said board?

Thanks in advance.
I hope you have a database and a file backup that match up with each other. If you do, upload the files, add in the tables into a database with the name in the config.php file.
You won't need to do anything with the files, and it wouldn't be as simple as just importing the backup because then you'd lose everything that was added/updated since the forum was deleted.

If you have a backup, we'd need to write you a script to reimport only what was deleted. If you don't have a backup, and your host doesn't either, then there's nothing you can do, and it'd be a good advert for taking backups.
Oh sorry, I misinterpreted the situation.
I thought basically the whole board was gone. I guess that is the problem with the words forum, forums, board, and boards. They (depending on the subject) can be interchangeable.
Oh I see, yeah people using different words for different meanings confuses me sometimes too Toungue
I always find it funny how people call a forum basically the whole website. And then tell their members to post in the BlaBlaBla Forum....

/iAmDoneDerailing Wink
Yeah so what I mean are the things contained within the forum which contain topics Toungue.

And yes I just asked my host for a backup of the database. Should be here in a few.
I got that once I reread what you posted.

Advice: I would recommend exporting your DB from phpMA every few days. You generally should not rely on your host taking backups for you.

I assume you have cPanel.
You can ZIP up all of your files in your website root, store the ZIP in your home directory, and then download the files in that way. And then you have a matching DB in case something goes tragically wrong with their servers. I know my host had a big problem a few months ago where they almost lost a bunch of data (but they got lucky with a bare-metal restore!)...

You never know!
Yeah I guess so. But really it seems alright, my host (from what the technical support guy told me) backs up every 24 hours which is fine I guess. I do have copies of my database, from 3 days ago being the earliest. I would restore that but it would write over all the new posts, boards, etc that I added.
Quite decent of a host to back up every 24 hours. Most of the top hosts don't even do that.
Pages: 1 2