MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading to .5 now, but . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm upgrading from .4 to .5 and my understanding is all I have to do is uyse the changefiles package. I downloaded to my desktop, then unzipped the files. Opened filezilla and have a good connection to my server and files. I see the .install file on my desktop inside the changefiles folder. Here's what the intructions say in the wiki to do at this point:

Once you've downloaded the correct upgrade package for you, it's time to do the upgrade. Please follow these steps carefully.

Upload ALL of the files and folders inside the package (from inside the "Upload" folder if using the latest version/full package), including the ./install/ folder (if it exists), overwriting the existing copies of the files in your file system.

I can't see an "Upload" folder. I do see the .install folder, but even if that's the only one I need to drag & drop, it's not clear from the instructions where I should put it. Here's what I'm looking at.

[attachment=25203]

Help. Details. Please. Pretty please. With a cherry on top.
upload everything in the 1605_changedfiles folder, but rename the admin folder first, but only if your existing site has a renamed folder.
I'm sorry paveman, I'm not clear on those instructions.

(2012-01-01, 08:23 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]upload everything in the 1605_changedfiles folder . .

To what location in the root? The inc folder? The public_html itself? Where?

(2012-01-01, 08:23 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]...but rename the admin folder first . . .

The admin folder in the changedfiles pack or the admin folder in the root? And guess what there's more than one admin folder on the server. There's one in the root itself, then one under inc/languages/english/admin & I think elsewhere.

(2012-01-01, 08:23 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]. . . but only if your existing site has a renamed folder.

I don't copy this at all. Do you mean if one of my admin folders on the server has already been renamed?

Also, if the admin folder you want me to rename is the one in the package and not one ofm them in the root, what name should I use admin _2 or something?

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm sorry I'm not more literate with this.
i noticed that your admin folder is not renamed by looking at your attached image, so ignore that instruction.

regarding uploading the files, copy the entire contents of the 1605_changedfiles folder into public_html (going off your attachment again) and overwrite what is already there.
(2012-01-01, 08:33 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]To what location in the root? The inc folder? The public_html itself? Where?

public_html

(2012-01-01, 08:33 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]The admin folder in the changedfiles pack or the admin folder in the root? And guess what there's more than one admin folder on the server. There's one in the root itself, then one under inc/languages/english/admin & I think elsewhere.

The admin folder within the root of the "1605_changedfiles" folder. But don't worry about this step.

(2012-01-01, 08:33 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]I don't copy this at all. Do you mean if one of my admin folders on the server has already been renamed?

Also, if the admin folder you want me to rename is the one in the package and not one ofm them in the root, what name should I use admin _2 or something?

Like I said, don't worry about this step, you didn't rename your admin folder. Simply upload all the files within "1605_changedfiles" to "public_html" and navigate to http://example.com/install/upgrade.php to run the upgrade script.

After upgrading, however, I highly recommend that you rename your admin directory. It is one of the most basic forms of security. By default, the name of the admin directory is "admin". With this knowledge, anyone can access your Admin CP. The only thing stopping them from logging in and ruining your forum is the username and password combination - which is not so hard to obtain. Renaming the directory will stop a potential hacker or at least slow him down. You can use something completely random like 7X5WUrODUD - use your imagination.

But because of this change, you have to rename the "admin" folder that comes in the changed files packages to whatever you renamed the admin directory to whenever you're upgrading. You have to do this every time you upgrade because we can't account for these kinds of customizations. It only takes a second and it's in the name of your forum's security.
Can I just drag the entire folder from my desktop directly to the root, like this?

[attachment=25205]
No. You have to expand the "1605_changedfiles" folder and select everything inside it first. Then you can drag it over to "public_html".
Okay thanks. Will do that now . . . .
It won't allow me to do that. DO I have to drag each individual file, or can I drag each folder one at a a time.
(2012-01-01, 08:18 PM)K e v i n Wrote: [ -> ]I'm upgrading from .4 to .5 and my understanding is all I have to do is uyse the changefiles package. I downloaded to my desktop, then unzipped the files. Opened filezilla and have a good connection to my server and files. I see the .install file on my desktop inside the changefiles folder. Here's what the intructions say in the wiki to do at this point:

Once you've downloaded the correct upgrade package for you, it's time to do the upgrade. Please follow these steps carefully.

Upload ALL of the files and folders inside the package (from inside the "Upload" folder if using the latest version/full package), including the ./install/ folder (if it exists), overwriting the existing copies of the files in your file system.

I can't see an "Upload" folder.

That's because it's only in the full package, like the instructions say, which you're not using.

In that screenshot, select all the files and folders in the box in the bottom left hand corner, and drag the lot onto the word public_html in the column on the right. Then the new files will overwrite the old. The files in the changed files package are all already in your file system, and in the same structure, the changed files package just contains newer versions of some of these files, you just need to upload the new ones so they replace the old ones.
what FTP program is that you are using?
Pages: 1 2