MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does MyBB use free advertising?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I hope this is the right place to post this. Sorry, I'm a newbie. Toungue

I'm seriously considering using MyBB for my new paying forum and wonder if, like other free forums, it uses it's own google (or any other kind) advertising as a way to support them?

My site will need my own means of advertising so I can support my payments.

Thanks for your help!
If your asking if MyBB puts ads on your copy of the forum, The answer to that question is No. The only things close to resembling an Ad is the copyright. And that is mandatory in order for you to use the forum.
Thank you for the quick reply! Am I allowed to place ads on the forum?
If you wish to add your own Ads and such, You can do so, Simply by editing the header template, yes. There arent any restrictions on that, Just as long as the original MyBB Copyright stays in tact.
As long as you keep the copyright in place, you can do anything with MyBB...modify the template, the code, anythying...
Also you are not allowed to redistribute...
This is wonderful news! Thank you so much.

What exactly do you mean by redistrubute? People pass on their copies and modifications to other people?

Oh, and are the add-ons free too?

Also, does someone really have to have programming knowledge to be able to run a MyBB forum? This is a completely new venture for me and I don't have experience with coding or anything but I'm hoping that as long as I follow instructions, I can do it. Smile
You're not allowed to redistribute the original or modified files of the board. You can distribute own plugins, modifications and themes as long as they don't contain parts of the original code.

All addons are free atm but it's by their autors if they will stay free (but I think they will). The MyBB Group itself has nothing to do with third party addons.
Awesome!

Now if someone can answer my last questions, I'll be ready to download. Smile

1) Does someone really have to have programming knowledge to be able to run a MyBB forum? This is a completely new venture for me and I don't have experience with coding or anything but I'm hoping that as long as I follow instructions, I can do it.

2) Can you recommend a good hosting company? It's anticipated that my forum will grow to at least over 5,000 members over the year.

Thanks!
1) You don't need any programming knowledge at all. MyBB has a very easy to use Admin Panel, which guides you through everything. If you want to change the way the forum looks, you will need to know HTML for the templates, and some CSS for the theme (although MyBB comes with a simple CSS system as well).

2) http://www.web-frenzy.com They have fast servers, are cheap, and have great customer service. Chris (CEO) is available on MSN to help out at any time.
Pages: 1 2 3