MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Responsive/Adaptive theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Instead of having a "mobile version" and a "desktop version", the MyBB 2.0 default theme should use a responsive design ( http://www.alistapart.com/articles/respo...eb-design/ ).
Big yes to this from me. Responsive design is fantastic. One web.

I'm a bit worried though since the community wasn't very open to the idea of HTML5. If we're going to do this, we have to use HTML5. Without it MyBB we'll be missing on a lot of stuff and will be left behind. HTML5 and responsive design is the future.

I recommend combining HTML5Boilerplate and semantic.gs. HTML5Boilerplate combines all the web development best practices into a single awesome template. And semantic.gs is a responsive grid which, unlike all other grids, is semantic.
Going with the future should be something the entire community is open to. Sure, you may run into a few compatibility problems but evidently that's something only the users end can evidentially fix by updating to a modern web browser. There are loads of different scripts as downloads to fix these problems the users will have on 'older' browsers. Using only 1 or two scripts and normalize.css the concept for weboutf.it is just about to be finished. The reason I say this is because it is a CSS heavy (depends more on the browser) and a mildly sophisticated layout. This concept displays the same on all modern browsers (and old). Doing this can sure be cumbersome (trust me I know) but in the end it's worth it.
I know, Modernizr is great. It basically handles all the cross-browser compatibility issues and lets you focus on what's important. I tried to explain it in the other thread but I don't think I expressed myself right. You have to read through the code and documentation to really understand how awesome HTML5Boilerplate is.
(2012-01-02, 09:05 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I know, Modernizr is great. It basically handles all the cross-browser compatibility issues and lets you focus on what's important. I tried to explain it in the other thread but I don't think I expressed myself right. You have to read through the code and documentation to really understand how awesome HTML5Boilerplate is.

If you get on msn about now (Nathan since you're viewing this as well feel free to do the same) and I will show you the most responsive web design I've ever done. Smile
Responsive design = the only way forward (IMO). I've seen some amazingly great things done with HTML5 and responsive design and in the long run it just makes life easier.
(2012-01-02, 07:37 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend combining HTML5Boilerplate and semantic.gs. HTML5Boilerplate combines all the web development best practices into a single awesome template. And semantic.gs is a responsive grid which, unlike all other grids, is semantic.

semantic.gs needs LESS.

Skeleton is nice too http://getskeleton.com/
(2012-01-03, 12:21 AM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-02, 07:37 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend combining HTML5Boilerplate and semantic.gs. HTML5Boilerplate combines all the web development best practices into a single awesome template. And semantic.gs is a responsive grid which, unlike all other grids, is semantic.

semantic.gs needs LESS.

Skeleton is nice too http://getskeleton.com/

+1 on skeleton. It's in my list of "things to use but haven't quite got round to playing with yet" Wink
Can you summarize it? I don't get it too well.
^ ditto.
Pages: 1 2 3 4