MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ip banning does not work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have a guy on my forum who's harassing constantly, and i can't ban his ip. i tried banning my friend's ip to test if it was working, and my friend wasn't banned. why doesn't mybb let me ip ban. i also have the latest version.
he must have a dynamic ip address and you cannot ban that....do this...turn on the email address activation and the admin activation. He will get sick of tired of verifying and will eventually stop.
well, his ip hasn't changed at all though.
Wolfson, could you please describe the exact steps you take when you banned an ip?
ok, i took his ip subnet "71.231" and put that on the ip ban list, and nothing else. yet he can still access the place under that ip.
If his IP addy hasn't changed then why not ban the complete addy not just the subnet?
Quote:well, his ip hasn't changed at all though.
wolfson Wrote:ok, i took his ip subnet "71.231" and put that on the ip ban list, and nothing else. yet he can still access the place under that ip.

You have to ban his subnet, with the "*".

71.231.*

That should do it.
Clutch Wrote:
wolfson Wrote:ok, i took his ip subnet "71.231" and put that on the ip ban list, and nothing else. yet he can still access the place under that ip.

You have to ban his subnet, with the "*".

71.231.*

That should do it.

The IP ban doesn't support the * wildcard. You can only do 71.231. (notice the trailing dot).

wolfson - 6th August 2006 14:57 Wrote:i have a guy on my forum who's harassing constantly, and i can't ban his ip. i tried banning my friend's ip to test if it was working, and my friend wasn't banned. why doesn't mybb let me ip ban. i also have the latest version.

Check that you are banning the right IP, in the right format (separate each banned IP with a space). I've just tried to ban my IP and it worked.