MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Malware on MyBB.com ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: catturahp.png]

Confused
It's a false positive. Most likely because of this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-111147.html

AVs will often pickup code as malicious even if it's not being executed.
Threads like this should be hidden from public view (i.e Private Inquiries).

Recently there have been a couple of accusations of malware on MyBB and they quickly give the impression that MyBB.com is unkept, unsafe and not a safe haven; when in fact most of the time it is people too quick to shout VIRUS when if they took a closer look would see the opposite.

I'm sure this damages MyBB's reputation on the ground level for no good reason.
No they should not be hidden from public view. The community should know all this information regardless, if its a false positive or not, the site threw up that warning and thats it. Hiding information like this is worse. Display the information, explain the reason why it did this , problem solved. If your going to hide it that suggests you have no idea why this has happened. When you go hiding this information, eventually it gets leaked and then people wonder if theres something going on or not.

You say it will damage mybb's reputation, give a detailed explanation of why it happened and close the thread. Then no-one can accuse mybb of anything as they have provided a vaild reason to why it happened.
Your point implies that these are valid threats to a reasonable eye, which they aren't.

I take your point, but for such minor issues with such dramatic titles, it isn't beneficial. At minimum, the thread titles should be disarmed from such alert as soon as it is confirmed that the threat is in fact not a threat.
No im not trying to say they are threats, and yes this is a minor issue. My point is, document this issue no matter if its a threat or not or how big or small it is. Deal with the problem now and resolve it. If its resolved, down the line when someone else comes across the same issue, they can refer to this thread and realize that its not a problem.
That has been tried and proven that it doesn't work though as you can see here
(2012-01-06, 11:06 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It's a false positive. Most likely because of this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-111147.html

Yes it's caused by this thread, please delete it Undecided

Many thanks and sorry for the false allarm Blush

I'm going to close this thread since there isn't much point on continuing the discussion on this, plus it's easier for someone to figure out why by reading one page rather than reading multiple ones.

Here's the reason for those looking for it without even bothering to read the rest of the posts:
(2012-01-06, 11:06 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It's a false positive. Most likely because of this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-111147.html