MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Logging Out Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have read the documents that supposedly contain the answer for this problem but unfortunately, I was not able to remedy it. I have tried the following solutions to no avail: I have also tried editing the cookie domain in settings.php, clearing my browser data and almost all of the information I could gather from the Internet.

My forum has been scraped to nothingness as of now by my own choice therefore I cannot provide the link to it -- I am simply inquiring here since I wish to know how what triggered the problem. If you people could kindly assist or answer my questions I would be greatly appreciative.

Detailed description of your problem: My version of MyBB was 1.6.4 and I upgraded it to the latest one, 1.6.5. I had a custom theme installed. I firstly downloaded the "Changed Files Package" and followed the instructions. I went through the upgrade script process and whatnot. After that, I looked at the forum and it was a mess; the site has broken images and messy links and I was surprised to have already been logged in without me doing it. I clicked UserCP and it gave me the "No Permissions" page. I deleted every theme there was since that might have been the problem and left the forum alone for a while. After a few minutes, the site looked normal, except that the theme was now the default MyBB one. This time, I couldn't log in. I waited for a few minutes and gave it another shot. It worked, and everything seemed fine until I decided to log out and realized it was not working. What was worse was that I tried to visit the site from another computer (I am not on a network) and saw my account logged in. The User CP, Mod CP and Admin CP were all visible. However when they are clicked, they prompted for the username and password. I found it very weird since why does the site display a logged in session as its default page? Logging out did not work.

URL to specific problematic page: As said above, the forum is no longer running. However, I did notice something. mysite.com/index.php shows my logged in account, regardless of whether I logged in or not, and from any computer that visits the site. mysite.com/ shows the regular "Hello There, Guest! (Login — Register)". I even tried replacing index.php and redoing the upgrade but it led to the same thing.

New installation or upgrade: It was an upgrade from 1.6.4.

What could I have done wrong and what was the error? Please let me know if you require any other details as I would be happy to provide them.

Thank you for your time.
have you seen & followed login & logout problems ..
(2012-01-08, 02:04 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]have you seen & followed login & logout problems ..

Indeed. I have stated that in my thread, actually in the very first part.
^ can we have your forum URL ..
(2012-01-08, 02:08 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ can we have your forum URL ..

I apologize but as I have stated, the forum is already gone. Giving you the link would be pointless since it is nothing more than a domain.
Quote:I have also tried editing the cookie domain in settings.php, clearing my browser data and almost all of the information I could gather from the Internet.

Did you confirm the changes in the Admin CP afterwards? Editing the ./inc/settings.php file will let you login to the Admin CP, but you have to make the changes there too so that they are saved to the database. After that, assuming that the cookie settings are indeed correct, you should be able to login and logout without any issues.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed thread. We don't see these very often... Toungue
(2012-01-08, 02:24 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Did you confirm the changes in the Admin CP afterwards? Editing the ./inc/settings.php file will let you login to the Admin CP, but you have to make the changes there too so that they are saved to the database. After that, assuming that the cookie settings are indeed correct, you should be able to login and logout without any issues.

Yes, I have done that as well but it still did not let me log out. I must have done something wrong, or my data was inaccurate. At any rate, is this a common problem? I mean, I found it strange (and scary) that everyone visiting the site could see my account logged in, and it was an administrator account at that.

Quote:By the way, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed thread. We don't see these very often... Toungue

It's the least a person asking for assistance could do. Smile
Yes, it's quite a common problem. That's why we have a sticky thread for it. But most of the time it's just because of incorrect cookie settings. There's really not much else of a cause. Are you absolutely sure yours were correct?
If _anybody_ was seeing your account as logged in, there would have been non-default code on your site somewhere, as by default it's impossible for someone who just loads the forum to see themselves logged in as an admin, that isn't how it works. However there's nothing we can really suggest if there is no site.