MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Why did mybb decide on yii fw versus other php fw?
You can see Yii's features and information about its performance on their website.

Ultimately the decision was taken by Chris but, for me, it fits perfectly for what we want to do and the way we work. Gii makes it quick and simple for people who aren't used to MVC to get into working with it too.
What about Zend ?
In my opinion, Zend can have a difficult learning curve due to their documentation and it takes a competent developer to use it. One of the things MyBB is great for is teaching people about PHP. If we're bringing people into the world of MVC or 'proper PHP' for the first time, we need to make it as easy to understand as possible.

In my experience, upgrading between different versions of ZF is extremely annoying too and there can be wild changes in its behaviour. I don't think I've met anyone who's successfully upgraded the first time around (which is what we aim for).

As for the others, we did initially look at Kohana and Symfony.

Kohana can be just as difficult to use as ZF to be honest. Kohana 3 had no documentation when we took a look at it so it was hard to get into. It can also have wild releases - we were looking for a stable development roadmap (similar to how MyBB has a 3 month release schedule).

Symfony has fantastic documentation, an easy learning curve and is both quick and efficient. I think the drawback to this was, compared to Yii, harder to configure and setup the way we wanted it to.

Put simply, Yii's methodology and setup is perfect for this project. It just flows and is easy and simple to follow. The killer, for me, was its integration between frameworks - you can integrate Kohana or Symfony, and even Zend components - into it far more easily than others.

But that's just me.
Cool, very thorough explanation. Looks like I have a book to buy: Kindle Edition

Thanks Tomm
(2012-01-09, 12:51 PM)Vapor Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, very thorough explanation. Looks like I have a book to buy: Kindle Edition

Thanks Tomm

Read the user reviews. Be warned. Toungue
Yeah, I had already taken a look at that book myself Toungue

Its downright terrible.
If you're looking to get into Yii for the first time, check out Larry Ullman's Learning the Yii Framework. It's the basic stuff but it's better than just throwing yourself into the Yii documentation (or that book) for the first time.

After you've gone through those tutorials you'll be able to understand the Yii docs better.
(2012-01-09, 04:50 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]If you're looking to get into Yii for the first time, check out Larry Ullman's Learning the Yii Framework. It's the basic stuff but it's better than just throwing yourself into the Yii documentation (or that book) for the first time.

After you've gone through those tutorials you'll be able to understand the Yii docs better.

Bookmarked!
(2012-01-09, 04:53 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-01-09, 04:50 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]If you're looking to get into Yii for the first time, check out Larry Ullman's Learning the Yii Framework. It's the basic stuff but it's better than just throwing yourself into the Yii documentation (or that book) for the first time.

Bookmarked!
Me too. I think I finally have OOP down. Now I need to get MVC understanding.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11