MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noob install question (with apologies in advance) Can't access installer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hopefully a simple issue: Can't get the installer to kick in. Get a 404 file not found error.

Been through the wiki and searched the forums for better part of yesterday, but no luck.
I think it's an access or configuration issue. I'm fairly new to Linux
Running a LAMP stack on Ubuntu 10.0.4 desktop. Ubuntu was installed via an installer from another app I have since removed, but otherwise seems normal.

Copied/uploaded the files to a /etc/forum directory. PHP does not seem to kick in when I navigate to it. (localhost/forum/install) I can go to localhost/phpmyadmin and get the console, so I know that part is working. Even tried creating a "version.php" and putting it in what I thought was server root directory, but it doesn't respond. I put that file in the /var/www/ directory and also in the /etc/apache2/ directory.

The only things I can get back from a browser on localhost is the "It's Working" message from the localhost root and the phpmyadmin console as mentioned above. I do see some sites enabled and sites available folders when I look through the file system.

Thanks in advance

John

(2012-01-10, 03:57 PM)bigjohn Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully a simple issue: Can't get the installer to kick in. Get a 404 file not found error.

Been through the wiki and searched the forums for better part of yesterday, but no luck.
I think it's an access or configuration issue. I'm fairly new to Linux
Running a LAMP stack on Ubuntu 10.0.4 desktop. Ubuntu was installed via an installer from another app I have since removed, but otherwise seems normal.

Copied/uploaded the files to a /etc/forum directory. PHP does not seem to kick in when I navigate to it. (localhost/forum/install) I can go to localhost/phpmyadmin and get the console, so I know that part is working. Even tried creating a "version.php" and putting it in what I thought was server root directory, but it doesn't respond. I put that file in the /var/www/ directory and also in the /etc/apache2/ directory.

The only things I can get back from a browser on localhost is the "It's Working" message from the localhost root and the phpmyadmin console as mentioned above. I do see some sites enabled and sites available folders when I look through the file system.

Thanks in advance

John

Hi John,
have you set the www address to be /var/www or /etc/apache2 in the config file if not you need to define where it is then all should be good
on my own setup I set the www folder to live under the home directory home/www, which is much easier to navigate to. post up the server config file so we can look at it or pm me with the file
Quote:Hi John,
have you set the www address to be /var/www or /etc/apache2 in the config file if not you need to define where it is then all should be good
on my own setup I set the www folder to live under the home directory home/www, which is much easier to navigate to. post up the server config file so we can look at it or pm me with the file

Thanks Jim: Here is what is in my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file (assuming that is the config file your asking about): (most everything else is commented out) (won't let me attach it) Don't see anything about www in it.

#
# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for additional configuration directives. See also the AllowOverride
# directive.
#

AccessFileName .htaccess

#
# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
# viewed by Web clients.
#
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
Satisfy all
</Files>

(2012-01-10, 05:37 PM)bigjohn Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Hi John,

Thanks Jim: Here is what is in my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file (assuming that is the config file your asking about): (most everything else is commented out) (won't let me attach it) Don't see anything about www in it.

try here
regards Jim