MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New kind of forum idea/experiment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
ok, firstly I apologise if this has been done before, I'm finding it hard to find a forum that runs like this (other than partially wikipedia - although it's not a forum).

The idea:
Basically, the forum is entirely community run. They have complete control if they so desire.

By this I don't mean any user can ban others or promote any use to admin. However, they can do anything together. Basically a user has the ability to vote to place any user at least one rank above themselves.

So, Person A applies to be a moderator. A forum wide vote is held, and if after X amount of time, 75%+ voted yes, the user is promoted. Similarly, moderators can vote to place one of their own into super mod status, or promote a user to moderator status.

The community could manage itself, with no centralized control (other than 1 super admin with the power to reverse any decision).

It would be interesting to see how the community managed it's own rules, banning, reporting of posts, moderation of posts etc...

Anything to add?
Could be a quite interesting social experiment, I must agree. Would need a few willing members to get things started though.
That will probably be a little rough at the start - but it might just work.

It'll be a very interesting experiment. Please make sure to share the results. Big Grin
I'm not saying I would do it :p it's would be pretty hard to get going, but once it's up it'll probably just "work" Smile kinda like Wikipedia.
As an experiment... I guess that's interesting to play with.
But of course I think that's the dumbest thing any forum can possibly do, and would only lead to power greed and chaos.
That would be cool tom, never know....it could turn out wonderfully.
(2012-01-11, 04:55 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]As an experiment... I guess that's interesting to play with.
But of course I think that's the dumbest thing any forum can possibly do, and would only lead to power greed and chaos.

I'm not sure it would. I suppose it depends on the people you have there. Wikipedia runs pretty smoothly and it runs on a similar system Confused
Just think of all the Boosters that would start up like with video games.
I think it'd be a cool site.

Would any one have the power to add more new forums? I mean... would it be possible for one person to be promoted to admin?

Yeah, that's why the other staff members would have to be responsible. Once the correct staff were in place it would be fine. Maybe have it so all promotions have to be vetted by a super mod or admin Smile
Yeah, somebody could be promoted to admin if 75% of super mods and admins combined agreed Smile
Pages: 1 2 3