MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Avatars in base64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
@TheGarfield: Just to clarify, the base 64 encoded avatars would not have to be decoded to be displayed. I can see that's leading to at least a bit of your confusion.

I still don't think this is a great idea for most forums, but I can see some instances where there may be minor benefits.
Only benefit would be imho for sites that are running on web multiple servers on a load balancer. Having the DB store the attachments and avatars would effectively allow for load balancer between many web servers.
(2012-01-12, 02:12 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Only benefit would be imho for sites that are running on web multiple servers on a load balancer. Having the DB store the attachments and avatars would effectively allow for load balancer between many web servers.

Who said anything about attachments?
If you do avatars you might as well do attachments too. Any benefit you do get from avatars is null if you don't also do attachments.
(2012-01-12, 10:24 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]If you do avatars you might as well do attachments too. Any benefit you do get from avatars is null if you don't also do attachments.

How's that?
I think that you can easily get what Labrocca says, he's writing in English...

Ugh, let's start from the beginning, MyBB right now stores files that are uploaded by users (Avatars and Attachments) in the "./uploads" directory... You're suggesting to store avatars in DB instead of the directory...

Now let's re-read what he said :

(2012-01-12, 10:24 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]If you do avatars you might as well do attachments too. Any benefit you do get from avatars is null if you don't also do attachments.

Means if Avatars in DB is advantageous, that "store in DB" thing should be done for attachments as well... Otherwise you will have "some files" in the database, and "some other files" on the server which is spaghetti...
So the benefit would be "null" as he stated.
Stated this a few posts ago too:

Quote:Only benefit would be imho for sites that are running on web multiple servers on a load balancer.

Maybe OP just isn't thinking like a big board owner.
The place for files is the file-system.
Pages: 1 2 3