MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spammed to death!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I recently installed myBB on a website and I am getting tons of spam comments on the forum. I have no idea why or how to remove the forum posts (I managed to remove the users but that didn't remove their posts). So far, I have gotten over 1200 spam posts in one of 5 forums. Fewer in the other forums.

I did a brand new install and have the latest version.

Here's a link to the forum http://www.tahoesierrasnowmobiling.org/forum/

What do I need to do to stop this attack?
How do I remove the spam comments (there's over 1200 of them so I hope there's a bulk removal available somewhere).

Thank you very much!
Hanna B
well I have virtually stopped them in their tracks now, not one - maybe one human - since I tweaked all this last night - had been getting 10-15+ a day..
Akismet
Max Post Views Guest (5)
No Links Allowed (restricting forums & groups - links after 3 posts)
Email verify registration
Limit post to all forums, registered only
Disabled completely view member list to all, even admon & mods
Post flooding (60 seconds)
Log all IP's (show only to admin)
Disallow all private messages
Disallow all uploads
DOB required on registration
Custom "Location" registration field - required
Hide email
One registration per email
2 Registrations per IP
COPPA - OFF
Not allowed to change user name
Hidden CATPCHA field (if they start again this will be the first thing I change - the hiden value)

Looking for Spammers:
Browse Users
Custom view: PRIVATE
Sort: Reg date, descending
Display: table
Avatar Username Email Registered Last Active Post Count Reputation Warning Level Registration IP Last Known IP Controls

I notice a suspicious account:
1. right click user name open in new tab - examine and make executive decision spammer or not, close tab
2. If determined spammer, User Custom View, click CONTROLS, right click-open new tab- Show IP Addresses
3. OPTIONS: ban the IP(s) - (use right click if banning 2 different IPs), close
4. If user has already posted: User Custom View, click CONTROLS, right click-open new tab- Ban User, adjust settings (IMHO always permanent). Prune threads posts, close tab

At this point.. the user's IP has been banned, you have had the ability to remove any posts/threads made, the only thing left:

6. click CONTROLS, right click-open new tab - Delete User

Clean clean.. If the birthday calendar allowed filtering to only registered & activated (currently banned and unactivated users DO show in the calendar) then you would not have to do #6