MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login takes you to frontpage, and not linked thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am running a private forum, ie. nothing is accesible unless you have an account on the forum.

If I click on a link to a specific thread while I am logged out of the board, it takes me to the login page, but, when I have logged in, I am taken to the frontpage of the forum, and not the actual linked thread.

I can see that the thread is in the URLbar of the login page, but then its bounced over the member page, and then to the frontpage again.

This is pretty annoying, as you have to click, login, and then click the link again to go the thread that got linked.

Is there any way to fix this?
(2012-01-12, 03:26 PM)FlyveHest Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I am running a private forum, ie. nothing is accesible unless you have an account on the forum.

If I click on a link to a specific thread while I am logged out of the board, it takes me to the login page, but, when I have logged in, I am taken to the frontpage of the forum, and not the actual linked thread.

I can see that the thread is in the URLbar of the login page, but then its bounced over the member page, and then to the frontpage again.

This is pretty annoying, as you have to click, login, and then click the link again to go the thread that got linked.

Is there any way to fix this?

yes there is with a core edit look at member.php and edit the redirect lines (about line 1120) to what you need but bear in mind you will need to get the user location url before the login function is ran
Ok, i'll take a look at that.

But, couldn't this be filed as a bug? It seems illogical that you're taken to the frontpage, instead of the thread, just because you have to log in.
(2012-01-12, 09:41 PM)FlyveHest Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, i'll take a look at that.

But, couldn't this be filed as a bug? It seems illogical that you're taken to the frontpage, instead of the thread, just because you have to log in.

it's not a bug as the program does exactly what the programmer(s) intended it to do, but perhaps ask for the code to be enhanced (new feature) or request that someone writes a plugin

Perhaps a post here for an added feature may put it on a 'todo' list or request a plugin here
Maybe bug is to harsh a word, you are right, but under any circumstance, I would call it illogical behaviour Smile
(2012-01-13, 09:18 PM)FlyveHest Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe bug is to harsh a word, you are right, but under any circumstance, I would call it illogical behaviour Smile

The behaviour may be odd (I would like a redirect to some where else. hence I do core edits) but that is as the program is written so do you think a plugin would be useful ? If there is no plugin for the action you wish to achieve I can perhaps write it (over a period time) .
I believe there is a bug that tends to redirect people to the front page and not the linked thread.
But you might be a lucky person and not have that issue.

http://dev.mybb.com/issues/1667