MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: May I remove the copyright and modify the software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

A few of my friends and I have been interested in starting a new project. However, programming may take quite a while. I was wondering if we are allowed to download MyBB and use it? We will remove the copyright, and perform minor edits to the software. And no, it won't be a forum. Smile I also understand that MyBB won't provide support in this case, but it will feel weird to have "Forum software by MyBB ", when it is not a forum. Plus, it would be impossible to ask for support when the software is edited. We're willing to add other types of copyrights (ex. "Powered partially by MyBB Software in a contributions" page). And we won't remove MyBB copyrights from the source code, but we may add our own copyright to sections of it that we coded. Thank You.

Regards,
Rick Ace

P.S: I'm actually more of a designer for this project. Smile So I'm not too well-versed with programming.
You can do what you like with it. You just won't get support if you remove the copyright.
Would you like us to include a copyright in any other form? Smile We'd be happy to link back to the MyBB group if it helps.
You could do something like "Powered by MyBB" instead of "Forum software by MyBB"
Okay. Smile I will put something of that sort. Thank You.