MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpbb3 to MYBB merge question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are looking into using the merge system to move our forum but I need to know does it erase the old forum or damage it any way? Just in case something goes wrong or they do not like the new forum we would like the option or reverting back. Will we lose the PHPBB board or does the merge system just copy the data?

So basically does the old board retain its data?
(2012-01-16, 10:51 PM)missnyx Wrote: [ -> ]We are looking into using the merge system to move our forum but I need to know does it erase the old forum or damage it any way? Just in case something goes wrong or they do not like the new forum we would like the option or reverting back. Will we lose the PHPBB board or does the merge system just copy the data?

So basically does the old board retain its data?

The merge system does not modify the source (old) board in any way. In fact it is recommended to make several dry runs in case there are any bugs you find that I can fix in short order.
Great news...

However.... Sad
I just tried the merge but I cant get past the first step of connecting to the phpbb database.
The old forum is hosted at 1and1 and the new one at GoDaddy. I have entered the host name dbname and pw correctly put it wont connect. I searched the forum and googled but don't see an answer to this.
Error:
Could not connect to the database server at 'mydatabase.perfora.net' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct.

I double checked the info in my config file and the info is correct. any ideas?
(2012-01-17, 01:15 AM)missnyx Wrote: [ -> ]Great news...

However.... Sad
I just tried the merge but I cant get past the first step of connecting to the phpbb database.
The old forum is hosted at 1and1 and the new one at GoDaddy. I have entered the host name dbname and pw correctly put it wont connect. I searched the forum and googled but don't see an answer to this.
Error:
Could not connect to the database server at 'mydatabase.perfora.net' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct.

I double checked the info in my config file and the info is correct. any ideas?

Quite likely you'll have to take a backup of the database and transfer it, a lot of hosts wont allow access to their db servers from outside their own network.