MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpBB 3 to myBB database encoding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The original system is a 3.0.10 phpBB 3 and I want to convert it to 1.6.5 myBB.
When I run merge, and at the database my characters get messed um

Phpmyadmin shows the encoding of the orginal database as latin_swedish_ci.
But that encoding isn't listed by myBB merge.
I tried 7bitswedish amd utf-8, but it doesn't work. Characters are still messed up.
So how do I get my characters correctly?
Moderators could have moved that other thread. Duplicate threads only create more clutter, and sometimes confusion.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-111902-...14374.html
I've got the duplicate thread covered already Toungue

As for your issue. You should try converting with the "Convert to UTF8" option turned off. See if that helps.

You should also be looking at the encoding of the actual tables, not the default encoding for the database.
Thanks for the answer Dylan M. and sorry for posting it twice.

I found a way to convert my Database to "utf8_general_ci" I basically used
ALTER TABLE <table_name> CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8;
on all tables, the encoding is not messed up anymore. All my Üs and Äs are correct.

But now I have another issue. I fail to import my posts and private messages, but instead of an error message I get:
"The connection to the Server as been reseted while loading this side"

But I'm sure the server worked all the time. So what might be causing this?

thanks for helping
Is that the actual error text verbatim? Because that is some terrible grammar Wink

Get me the verbatim error text, and a screenshot if you can, but I have a feeling this is a host side issue because of how query heavy the merge system is.
No it's not the orginal message, because the orginal message is german, I tried to translate it (an attemped that obviously failed, sorry for the gramma).
It's a simple browser error message, I can post you the screenshot once I'm back home.

It shouldn't be a host issue, because the host is my own computer (localhost).
And the server, forensoftware, browser and data are the same, as before, apart from the database encoding. It merged everything, but had a lot of strange characters in it.
I converted it to utf-8, because for some reason latin1 was not listed on my merge system.
At least not as latin1, Iso 8859-1, Iso 8859-15 or swedish_ci

Now all my characters look fine, but I can't import my posts and the private messages table.
Post has about 5000 entries, but the message system has only about 100 entries.

Did the encoding change, damage my data?

swedish_ci is the latin1 normally. Most databases (for whatever reason) default to latin1_swedish_ci

So... the connection reset error:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12439...he-page-wa
And
http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,64622,67954

May help you.
Thanks for your help, I solved it.
It was the option to encode the board messages in utf-8. After I turned that off it worked just fine.
Big thank you.