MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New captcha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Assign CAPTCHA has a few downfalls:

1. It is visual. People with vision problems cannot use it. Screen readers can handle text text-based CAPTCHA.
2. It requires JavaScript. By reverse engineering Assign CAPTCHA, I can trick the site into believing I passed the test even though I have JavaScript disabled. And for the honest tech-savvy people who disable JavaScript for security, should they be excluded from my site?
Thank you for your input, laie_techie.

(2012-01-23, 06:17 AM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]It is visual. People with vision problems cannot use it. Screen readers can handle text text-based CAPTCHA.
We are implementing an audio output. Should be done in a few hours.

(2012-01-23, 06:17 AM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]And for the honest tech-savvy people who disable JavaScript for security, should they be excluded from my site?
0.4% of all internet users? Err, yes.
www.webknow.com/scripts-enabled-statistics.asp
No real demo, YouTube video with awful voice synth, not released under Open Source license, displays ads, takes too damn to solve, requires JavaScript, not unbreakable (limited selection of images and distortion effects, and the webserver allows reloading the image with a new and sometimes even without distortion), dependency of the captcha system on a questionable third party...

JavaScript aside I found the usability confusing, if you move an image to a slightly wrong position it keeps showing an icon that's usually used for loading data so I was wondering what it was loading and waited ... until I figured out later what was wrong with it. Also there should be a reset button that gives you a new set of images in case one is unrecognizable.

Also I don't see how the JavaScript / dragging images around Spiel is any better than the "select the cat(s)" captcha which works without JavaScript (using regular checkboxes). Chances to get it right (assuming the bot doesnt recognize images) is the same regardless whether you drag 4 images or just tick 4 boxes...

It's just not my piece of cake. Good luck anyway
Thank you frostschutz for your opinion. I will try to coment as best as I can.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]No real demo
There are two demos on our website:
1. On the registration page at assigncaptcha.com
2. On the registration page of our support board

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]YouTube video with awful voice synth
I agree with you, the voice is rather *. So you are invited to speak it. May I send you the text file and you send me back the WAV/MP3 file with your voice? No kidding: we will renew the video soon. With or without your voice. Big Grin

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]not released under Open Source license
Li... what? Just use it.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]displays ads
What's wrong with ads when they keep the website and the captcha alive? Maybe you would like to sponsor ASSIGNCAPTCHA on your own, then we can make other plans. Did you tell Google to remove their "stop spam, read books" from recaptcha? At last, it's an ad. Evil, evil ad.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]takes too damn to solve
You're the first who says so... I will keep that in mind. We just implemented an audio output for impaired website visitors, will improve that in the next few days to prevent bots from recognising the single WAV data parts.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]requires JavaScript
As stated before, 99,6 % of all web visitors are using it. I could ask you back:
What about users with a smartphone? They will not be able assign these pictures.
What about users which are impaired AND deaf?
What about users which have no arms and want to go swimming?
You can not make everyone happy.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]not unbreakable
Which has to be proven. As stated in our FAQ, we think that every captcha that prevents a website form just a few months from beeing flooded by robots is worth to exist.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]limited selection of images and distortion effects
Watch closely, they differ every time you call the captcha. And we're just at the beginning. Did you expect a few people are able to introduce a captcha with 3247928433 abilities, forever unbreakable, tested for months with hundreds of developers?
Please give us some time, we will improve it.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]and the webserver allows reloading the image with a new and sometimes even without distortion
That is not a disadvantage, statistically seen.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]dependency of the captcha system on a questionable third party...
Is it better to trust Google's recaptcha with all its octopus-like capabilities?

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]JavaScript aside I found the usability confusing, if you move an image to a slightly wrong position it keeps showing an icon that's usually used for loading data so I was wondering what it was loading and waited ... until I figured out later what was wrong with it.
You're the first who says so... But I will keep that in mind, too.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Also there should be a reset button that gives you a new set of images in case one is unrecognizable.
I agree with you, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Also I don't see how the JavaScript / dragging images around Spiel is any better than the "select the cat(s)" captcha which works without JavaScript (using regular checkboxes). Chances to get it right (assuming the bot doesnt recognize images) is the same regardless whether you drag 4 images or just tick 4 boxes...
No problem, I explain it to you. This was a question we also asked ourselves. Microsoft's ASIRRA showed images of pets. They were not distorted. That's all they did.
Our images are random-based distorted, rotated and sized. Additionally, we use non-images. These are computer-generated signs, shapes and so on. If you argue that it can be easily been broken: please prove it, don't argue.

(2012-01-23, 08:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck anyway
Thank you. I did not thought that you will write this after your first comment... Big Grin And thank you for spending your time to think about it (running would be better Wink).

Best regards
Tom
Pages: 1 2