MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using a "sandbox forum" before I upgrade to 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys.

I'm still on 1.4. I'm planning to upgrade in 2 weeks (don't ask me why the delay) and I'm wanting some advice before I do so.

I have spent a lot of time modifying templates and tweaking plugins. I don't want to lose it all when I upgrade. I know MyBB informs me of template changes, but I don't particularly want to lose the work on plugins. Plugins include MyPlaza Turbo, FBConnect, Thank You/Like, those kinds of ones.

What I'm wondering is can I create a "sandbox forum" on my local machine (localhost), install MyBB 1.6, re-upload (or re-install if I really have to) plugins, and at a later stage merge this sandbox forum with the current 1.4 forum.

Opinions?
It's normal to test things out on the localhost first before doing it live on your site. Upload your 1.4 forum files first followed by the 1.6 release and just run the upgrade function.
(2012-01-24, 01:39 AM)pdtrx Wrote: [ -> ]It's normal to test things out on the localhost first before doing it live on your site. Upload your 1.4 forum files first followed by the 1.6 release and just run the upgrade function.

This is on the sandbox forum not the live one?
(2012-01-24, 01:52 AM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]This is on the sandbox forum not the live one?

Yes. Download your forum and setup it on your localhost.
Just a warning, MyPlaza will not work on MyBB 1.6 at all.
Yeah I digged around for a 1.6 update for MyPlaza but all leads turned up dry. I guess I'll just switch to NewPoints, as everyone does.

I only installed it a few weeks ago so it's no biggy.