MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paid help requested for helping with server load issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having persistent trouble with "server load" errors recently, even though my forum is not very busy.

I have checked with the host (hostgator) who say that there is no evidence of excessive load on the (shared) server. I've done all the obvious stuff like optimizing/repairing db tables and reducing the frequency of scripts being run.

Is there someone out there who has some expertise in this area who would be willing to check out my forum settings, and possibly other factors that might be causing this issue? I would be willing to pay for your time of course -- though I'm presuming this is not a long job. I'm not requesting reinstallation or design changes, but just the casting of an expert eye over the back end to be able to help diagnose the problem and make some recommendations.

If interested, please PM me, preferably with some idea of cost. If this works out, there could be further work in the future.

Obviously I have to be able to trust someone with admin privileges, so some evidence of your credibility would be appreciated, even if it's only active participation in this community.

Thanks

Drew
Get a staff member to do it, they know what they are doing, and are official MyBB support.
Unless you've added or changed something that would increase the load there's probably not a lot you can do, and it's probably not even your forum's fault. Shoutboxes can often cause high load, have you got one of those? What other plugins do you have? Ultimately as you're on a shared host you could be wasting your time trying to find the cause as the load is that caused by every single site on the server, of which there are probably hundreds, yours could be having no impact at all. Have you been getting the error saying the forum is unavailable due to high load, or have you just seen the load is very high?
(2012-01-25, 01:06 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you've added or changed something that would increase the load there's probably not a lot you can do, and it's probably not even your forum's fault. Shoutboxes can often cause high load, have you got one of those? What other plugins do you have? Ultimately as you're on a shared host you could be wasting your time trying to find the cause as the load is that caused by every single site on the server, of which there are probably hundreds, yours could be having no impact at all. Have you been getting the error saying the forum is unavailable due to high load, or have you just seen the load is very high?

Thanks for the response. I might have solved the problem. In case this helps someone else who is getting server load errors, I'll mention that this is the response I have just had from Hostgator:

This error is actually coming from your application not our server. You should be able to disable this message within the admin control panel for mybb:

Admin CP > Board Settings > Change > "Server and Optimization Options" > Go > Find "*NIX Load Limiting" > enter 0 to disable the limit completely > Submit Changes

After you disable this limit you should no longer see that message.