MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why is MyBB free?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Maybe this is a weird question, but I'm curious. How is MyBB free? Why does the development team put so much time into making such an amazing product? I'm really impressed with all that's available!
Because [Wiki: Free_never_tasted_so_good] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
So, the answer is just because? Just out of the goodness of his heart?
(2012-01-25, 03:19 PM)fylliska Wrote: [ -> ]So, the answer is just because? Just out of the goodness of his heart?

Yes. Almost all open source developers work out of the goodness of their heart.
And what we (the users) can do is,
1) If you are good with PHP, MySQL, you can apply and join the team to help out.
2) If you are good with PHP, MySQL but don't have time for official development, you can create few free plugins and release it for the community.
3) If you are not good with development, but good with designing, you can release free MyBB themes.
4) If you are not good with designing or development, you can help spread the name of MyBB to the world, like recommending MyBB to your friends who are about to start a forum, or want to convert their existing forum.
5) If you have some extra cash, you can donate it to MyBB, so that they can maintain server, domain and other expenses.

If none of the above is an option for you, you can keep the MyBB copyright in footer to show your appreciation towards hardwork.
(2012-01-25, 03:19 PM)fylliska Wrote: [ -> ]So, the answer is just because? Just out of the goodness of his heart?

That's right! We enjoy making things and are happiest when we're fed biscuits or chocolate. Or coding. Any of them are good.
MyBB was supposed to be paid, but honestly, going against VB and IPB, I bet Chris just didn't have the heart to put them out of business.
(2012-01-25, 07:54 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB was supposed to be paid, but honestly, going against VB and IPB, I bet Chris just didn't have the heart to put them out of business.

*Anxiety likes this*
(2012-01-25, 07:54 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB was supposed to be paid, but honestly, going against VB and IPB, I bet Chris just didn't have the heart to put them out of business.

Something tells me that's not really it Toungue. I don't know but my guess would be a small dev team meant they probably couldn't compete to well back then. Also Chris may have got his job with bigcommerce around then which is pretty big and took up lot of time. But, anything I say is just speculation so who knows.
(2012-01-25, 03:13 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Because [Wiki: Free_never_tasted_so_good] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

yaldaram, you can just type free never tasted so good Toungue

Where did you get that idea? Chris has never stated such a thing. You shouldn't even joke about something like that.
Pages: 1 2 3