MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam Issue After Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been receiving a ton of spam on my website shortly after I upgraded to 1.6.5, what is the issue. Is someone attacking my website or is this a fault in mybb's coding somehow.
If anyone could help it would be appreciated, I have a security question system in place and other spam protection systems that protect my site, I am not sure why this is happening if anyone could help it would be appreciated.
My site is located: http://moddingnation.org/forum/
you have to use smart questions for the security questions plugin (delete default questions set up by the plugin)
see also Let's combat with spam & finding spam with MyBB 1.6.5
(2012-01-28, 06:39 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]you have to use smart questions for the security questions plugin (delete default questions set up by the plugin)
see also Let's combat with spam & finding spam with MyBB 1.6.5

I do use custom questions, I was doing great with spam before but now I'm not and it happened all at once shortly after I updated so I wonder what the problem is. I am getting around 2,000 registrations per day now with 99% of that being spammers.
^ hmm., that should not happen with registration security question plugin !!
(2012-01-28, 07:34 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ hmm., that should not happen with registration security question plugin !!

Well it is, and I also have the Hot Words Plugin, I'm not sure what the problem is. If I knew then I wouldn't be here....
^ I've checked your forum AND it is not easy for the bots to bypass registration security questions .. someone experienced has to
analyze with required temporary privileges how bots are signing up (cannot be done in a single session .. you have to wait for a few
days. may be you can post the issue at private inquiries section and request the supporting staff to check ...)
I discovered the problem was due to one of my forums, it was set so that unactivated members can post in it. Well that's the cause for the excess in spam. There is a less spam now but it still occurs.
Now I am wondering how people are bypassing registration.
There might be human spammers on your board. They'll pass captchas and questions for the most part.
(2012-02-05, 04:20 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]There might be human spammers on your board. They'll pass captchas and questions for the most part.

Maybe, I'm not sure though. I'm banning IP's of the spammers that look like human spam.
Do you have the SFS mod installed?