MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Latest Threads in Sidebar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So in the portal, it shows latest threads and posts. I happen to have some extra space in my sidebar and don't want to put in an ad and risk deterring people. However, I think it would look really cool being able to have the lastest posts show in the sidebar.

I am using Audentio's Dark Ice. You probably know that I know PHP, HTML, etc. I just don't feel like finding the code to retrieve the latest threads.

Is it possible to do this? Well it has to be Big Grin!

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

EDIT: I may have figured out how to use a plugin and make some slight modifications to it...
EDIT2: I am using the Recent Topics On Index plugin. It looks like it adds a little variable called {$recenttopics} into the {$forums} variable. How can I access that and put it in the sidebar -- because it doesn't seem to work as I had thought.
EDIT3: I have found the variable in the index template. How can I access it through a sidebar in the header template?
Labroccas mySideBoxes does this. It adds extra variables and with that it's easy to use.

You may want to check your global templates to see if an extra template was made.
Where can I find it? I can't seem to find it on MyBBCentral, plus I don't really want to subscribe just for 1-2 plugins.

Oh well - I suppose I can mess around with the current plugin to make it insert into my sidebar.
I'm trying to create a plugin... We'll see where that goes for me! Big Grin
Well I am done modifying plugins... I destroyed my header group of templates in my theme. At least I had the XML file handy and could just set the image path to the correct ones!