MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error when sending emails via my MyBB forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When anyone tries to send an email via my forum (whether using the Email button on a person's profile, or whether it's an automated email such as the one someone is supposed to receive when they reset their password) it's not working and the following error gets logged in the System Email Log in the MyBB admin panel:

Quote:The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command. Reason: 550 Authentication failed
SMTP Code: 550
SMTP Server Response: 550

Can anyone please tell me what this means and what I need to do to fix it? I have to use SMTP because my hosting provider doesn't allow the use of PHP mail.
Then you misconfigured your smtp server

Check that the port your using is correct and that your using the correct user and pass for your forum

If you using gmail then use

Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Thank you for your reply. Yesterday I was using my own SMTP details, but now I've decided to start using Gmail instead. However, now I'm getting a different error message show up in the System Email Log:

Quote:Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />110: Connection timed out

These are the settings I'm using (for all the fields on the Board Settings -> Mail Settings page in the admin control panel):
Mail handler: SMTP
SMTP hostname: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465
SMTP username: my personal Gmail address with the @gmail.com at the end
SMTP password: my Gmail password
SMTP Encryption Mode: SSL encryption
Mail logging: Log everything

Please can you confirm if these details are correct, especially the SSL encryption bit? Do I have to do anything within my Gmail account to get this working?