MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Profiles with Friends list, Comments, Pictures and much more!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Good idea for a plugin, don't need to be included in the core.
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but this could be very nice idea. Software like vBulletin and XenForo already have this, and I believe IPB does too, it's a fantastic idea and if it can be turned off then I see no reason to not add it.
MyBB core should provide hooks which make such things possible with plugins.
Profile comments would be nice in the core imo. The rest are good as plugins.
Well i think you can do many things with a plugin but it requires time and ideas.

I make a long time ago one new system but i seatch for new developers and designers to make more powerfull and finally i forgot this and i have many implements like one video and one image by url add to your profile, visitors, friendlist and comments. Something like fb. Finally i lost all my files and this file i do not finished i really want to do it but nobody can help to test and make better plugin so i decide to not finish and i have only a few part of code damn it it was a good plugin xD. But it is a great idea for implement on mybb.
As far as a friends system goes, it would actually make the buddylist system useful rather than, just being a load of fluff. Let's face it, what exactly is the purpose of the buddylist system? It just seems like bloat to me. If MyBB keeps the Buddylist system then, a friend system is the next logical step otherwise, it belongs in plugin territory.
(2014-08-07, 05:12 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]As far as a friends system goes, it would actually make the buddylist system useful rather than, just being a load of fluff. Let's face it, what exactly is the purpose of the buddylist system? It just seems like bloat to me. If MyBB keeps the Buddylist system then, a friend system is the next logical step otherwise, it belongs in plugin territory.

What's the difference between the current buddy list and your proposed "friend system" other than the name?
(2014-08-07, 06:09 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-07, 05:12 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]As far as a friends system goes, it would actually make the buddylist system useful rather than, just being a load of fluff. Let's face it, what exactly is the purpose of the buddylist system? It just seems like bloat to me. If MyBB keeps the Buddylist system then, a friend system is the next logical step otherwise, it belongs in plugin territory.

What's the difference between the current buddy list and your proposed "friend system" other than the name?
For one, for it to have much more of an impact on the forums rather than, it just being some private list which no one ever sees or cares about. Whether it's a friend module in the profile, or something else like influencing the interactions between users.
Just something to actually give it some real purpose, otherwise I feel like it should be removed from the core.
The Buddy Feature can be used to quickly open up a tab with just those usernames so you can view their profile, send them a PM, etc. I'm not sure if you noticed this or not, but when you send PMs there is a link that says Select From Buddies, so it actually does have a use.
(2014-08-07, 06:19 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-07, 06:09 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

For one, for it to have much more of an impact on the forums rather than, it just being some private list which no one ever sees or cares about. Whether it's a friend module in the profile, or something else like influencing the interactions between users.
Just something to actually give it some real purpose, otherwise I feel like it should be removed from the core.

You're making the argument that neither the friends list nor the buddy list should exist since there doesn't seem to be a use-case for it. I agree. I don't see the purpose of "friends" for most forums.

@dragonexpert: Does anyone actually do this? My guess would be no. If you're sending them a PM you either a) know who they are, or b) are PMing them in reply to a post, so you don't need "quick access" to them.
Pages: 1 2 3