MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Profiles with Friends list, Comments, Pictures and much more!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi @guys!
In MyBB 1.6 there's at least 5 plug-ins to do what I want to had added on user's profiles.

I want to have comment system, friends list, the avatar and more info in the user profile page. Is it possible to have it as standard features?
Better suited as plugins IMO.
Profile Comments: http://mods.mybb.com/view/profile-comments
Buddy List: http://mods.mybb.com/view/profile-buddies

and what more info ??
I'd say yes for Profile Comments, the plugin is likely not supported by its developer anymore, and it contains a lot of bugs, whilst this is a very good feature.
There are other, better, profile comment plugins IMO. Shy

2.0 has a new profile, but there certainly won't be anything like friends or pictures by default. It should be easier to add though.
No - profile comments is not good as default feature, because big forums may not like it as it would waste their database. It could be used for spam as well by bots and much more troubles.
I'd say yes for profile comments too.
(2012-01-30, 02:12 PM)IgoTyA Wrote: [ -> ]Hi @guys!
In MyBB 1.6 there's at least 5 plug-ins to do what I want to had added on user's profiles.

I want to have comment system, friends list, the avatar and more info in the user profile page. Is it possible to have it as standard features?

There are already some plug ins available.

If you think it is still missing something important to you on the plug in.Make a request with plug in developer to add it in a future update.

To me it make no sense to add more code to the core on secondary features.Plug ins are there for a purpose.

(2012-02-24, 03:45 PM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]There are already some plug ins available.

If you think it is still missing something important to you on the plug in.Make a request with plug in developer to add it in a future update.

To me it make no sense to add more code to the core on secondary features.Plug ins are there for a purpose.

There's nothing such as "secondary features" in a forum software.
Long time ago, Private Messages were considered as unnecessary features for forums, can you imagine your board now without it?

(2012-01-31, 07:56 PM)jard0n5 Wrote: [ -> ]No - profile comments is not good as default feature, because big forums may not like it as it would waste their database. It could be used for spam as well by bots and much more troubles.

That's irrelevant, how do you know that "big forums may not like it"? I have a big board and I'm a fan of profile comments Smile
To me, PMs waste database more than Profile Comments.

My point of view : If the team doesn't want to integrate it then it's okay, but adding it will give more "freshness" to MyBB. But stating that "big boards won't like that" or "they're secondary features" is senseless.
Quote:There's nothing such as "secondary features" in a forum software.
Long time ago, Private Messages were considered as unnecessary features for forums, can you imagine your board now without it?

A "long time ago" message board was simply a message board.Then things gets added into the core in future upgrades that meets the demand for specific additional features.

Those early forums started small and grew over the years.Today many forums grow much more slowly in core size as most of the obvious features have already been included.

Today adding a main plug in feature is reluctantly added to the core for a good reason.The forum set up already has a good default set up.One that needs to be made better with refinement process to a cleaner code.

IgoTya wrote this:

Quote:In MyBB 1.6 there's at least 5 plug-ins to do what I want to had added on user's profiles.

There is a reason why most plug ins never become core features.They remain secondary features that will be used by a small number of people.

I do not care about avatars,profile comments at all.vBULLETIN has those features and not used much.

Plug ins is a great success and should be used for filling out a good defaul forum to meet the individualized needs of the forum owner.

(2012-01-31, 07:56 PM)jard0n5 Wrote: [ -> ]No - profile comments is not good as default feature, because big forums may not like it as it would waste their database. It could be used for spam as well by bots and much more troubles.

Even if profile comments would be core/default, it doesn't mea nthe admin HAS TO enable it.

IMO, something like profile comments/or visitor messages as you will, should be core/default. Honestly I can't think of a forum software beside MyBB who doesn't have it.
Pages: 1 2 3