MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme making questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am in the process of making a theme and I am very new at it.

1st, I am attempting to add outlining to the Buttons. I have achived putting a picture under it but why is the words not center on the picture? Is there a Code I need to do?

2nd, I am trying to put a background behind the Buttons on top but STRECH the picture not repeat it.

3rd, How do I make custom on the side bars at Portal?

4th, How do I make a background for behind my Banner without making it a Link.

5th, How do I move the Login Place and Account Information stuff

6th, How do I add things that scroll down when you scroll?

Sorry for the all the questions, I think its better than making multiple post Big Grin
1. I'm not really sure what you mean here. You'd need to use css to achieve this. border: 1px solid black; would do.

2. no-repeat, once again is css. The picture won't stretch, though. You'd need to adjust the size yourself.

3. There is probably plugins for this, but if you mean hardcode it into the theme...well if you cannot do the above two this may be a bit out of your league.

4. You make it a background image, again using css. background:url(imagelinkhere/path/path/bg.png);

5. You find it, copy it, and paste it somewhere else.

6. You'd use the css property position:fixed; and it will scroll with the viewer.

I suggest you go ahead and learn html/css before attempting things like this.
(2012-02-01, 03:50 AM)BitzDefender Wrote: [ -> ]1. I'm not really sure what you mean here. You'd need to use css to achieve this. border: 1px solid black; would do.

2. no-repeat, once again is css. The picture won't stretch, though. You'd need to adjust the size yourself.

3. There is probably plugins for this, but if you mean hardcode it into the theme...well if you cannot do the above two this may be a bit out of your league.

4. You make it a background image, again using css. background:url(imagelinkhere/path/path/bg.png);

5. You find it, copy it, and paste it somewhere else.

6. You'd use the css property position:fixed; and it will scroll with the viewer.

I suggest you go ahead and learn html/css before attempting things like this.
I have been trying to learn HTML and CSS. I am horrible at learning new things like that on my own :/ But. If you wanna see my website you can Big Grin www.chillax-mc.com/forums/
Yeah for the nav background image, you'll need to set it to repeat-y or manually make it the right amount of pixels
If you are about to design a theme, you MUST have knowledge about CSS and HTML...and mybb template system
Just some months ago i was a noob when it came to CSS. But i learned my way upto here
learn CSS, HTML basics and then go use developer tools to inspect interesting elements on other sites and see how it has been done
(2012-02-01, 12:17 PM)t_virus Wrote: [ -> ]If you are about to design a theme, you MUST have knowledge about CSS and HTML...and mybb template system
Just some months ago i was a noob when it came to CSS. But i learned my way upto here
learn CSS, HTML basics and then go use developer tools to inspect interesting elements on other sites and see how it has been done

Hmm, I am attempting to make an Minecraft Theme for My Minecraft Server's Forums. So I am trying to do it as Quick as I can so it is easy to navigate. And You don't learn without asking questions.

(2012-02-01, 12:17 PM)t_virus Wrote: [ -> ]If you are about to design a theme, you MUST have knowledge about CSS and HTML...and mybb template system

You don't need to understand much about the template system. Just some basic CSS, then you can edit the global.css file and gradually get better and learn more.
(2012-02-01, 10:10 PM)BitzDefender Wrote: [ -> ]

You don't need to understand much about the template system. Just some basic CSS, then you can edit the global.css file and gradually get better and learn more.

Nah. Know the template system better. it will help to develop more unique designs.
Well yes of course knowledge of the template system will give your theme a unique style and design. But for a beginner, it is not necessary to begin making your own "theme" whether it be simply some changed images and css.