MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Make Url short
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

i had this in mind for quite a few days now,but have no idea how to get it done..

I want to make the Url short for a thread as seen in browser's address bar

From

eg: www.mywebsite.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=793&pid=1056#pid1056

To

eg: www.mywebsite.com/forum/123

Something like that....

I dont know how it works is it possible to do it...

Can somebody help me in this please...Thanks in advance

MyBB's SEO URLs are very similar to what you seem to want.

Go to your forum root, and change the htaccess.txt that comes with MyBB to .htaccess. Then, in the ACP, make sure SEO URLs are enabled.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply but is there any other way of doing the same without using any kind of Plugins.....HuhHuhHuh
What GamerVoid said it's not a plugin, it's how urls get that way. (with a htaccess file and mod_rewrite from apache).

After you have the proper .htaccess file you just have to let MyBB know about seo urls using your ACP, as suggested above.
The pid=1056#pid1056 in your example URL is necessary for direct links to posts; pid=1056 makes the forum open the correct thread on the correct page, #pid1056 causes the browser to scroll down to the posting. If you remove those parameters you are breaking one of MyBB's features.

So no, turning /showthread.php?tid=793&pid=1056#pid1056 into /123 is not possible. With MyBB SEF URLs it would be thread-793.html?pid=1056#pid1056.
Thanks for the reply,

ill be checking on this at the earliest
What is SEF URLS ??

i tried enabling the Enable search engine friendly URLs? i get ERROR message when i try to click on any link ...what might be wrong here..

P.s..i have tried this on my local network not on WEB server yet..

[attachment=25453]
Confirm that mybb's release htaccess.txt file is renamed to .htaccess (the dot is required!)
Hi,

thanks for the replies,Url change has been successful but its shows /forum/forum/thread-24.html...is there any way we can change it to according to the thread being viewed.

^ if you do not want to use the Google SEO plugin then its better to satisfy with the available SEF URL scheme at present ..
Pages: 1 2