MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Like system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yeah, I completely agree with leaving social networking out of MyBB 2.0's base package, but things like a like system are things becoming the new standard for forum software, same as profile comments, discussions > private messages, and imo cms. Like it was said, you can't just stay in 2000 with features that were standard then, new standards mean adapting. So yeah, again, I'm all for a like system.
Hm, I suppose the Reputation system could be a little revamped: showing the number of votes for a post on the thread page and even instead of the star rating, a number of likes or reputation points given for a specified thread (with a page or a modal dialogue showing those who liked it or not considering their privacy settings - i think some may want privacy settings to who they allow to see their likes dunno). Practically this Like system is already in MyBB but not the way it is percieved in general.

Maybe, but I would only be personally happy if it at least said somewhere in the postbit "This user has received * reputation points for this post". Though reputation just doesn't roll off the tongue like "likes" does. xD
Or you could add a toggle in the ACP for what to name the rep system:

It would just require an extra few Lang strings. Of course, with CSS buttons, they would still look just as great - no 1 million images...

I am all in for a rep system change. Though, I am not so keen on "likes"
How about replacing the Reputation system with the Like/Dislike system and have it set with EVERY post?

Then you have the Thanks Plug in for the individual appreciation of some deed or help provided to still use.

Make Reputation as a plug in.

(2012-02-09, 04:31 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]How about replacing the Reputation system with the Like/Dislike system and have it set with EVERY post?

Then you have the Thanks Plug in for the individual appreciation of some deed or help provided to still use.

Make Reputation as a plug in.

Just because it might fit you better doesn't necessarily mean that everyone agrees with it. I've said it once, and will say it again: just allow a setting to change the language strings of the rep system, depending on the setting. So you could go in the ACP, and in reputation settings, toggle it to Like/Dislike, and the system would change into a like/dislike system. It would just require a few extra lang strings.

Why break what works? The reputation system works fine for many, so I don't think it is worth throwing it out to be a plugin.
I may have been a little blunt in this post, but the point is simple, IMO.
(2012-02-09, 04:31 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]How about replacing the Reputation system with the Like/Dislike system and have it set with EVERY post?

Ooooo, I very very much like it, and it there could be auto-report feature if message scored defined negative level. Smile
I don't want to make you guys sad, but if you're currently using the Like system (like me), you will lose everything if it becomes a core feature, I am 99.99% that MyBB team isn't going to suit they core features with plugins.

So you'd better leave it as a plugin, plus I think the current plugin works flawlessly.

@Rafio: Plugins are what makes a software sexy, would you rather prefer a basic software with 10 features and more than 2000 plugins and 200 plugin developers or a crowded software with 1500 built-in features and 2 plugins and one former plugin developer?

I think the comparison is clear.

You should always keep in mind that the more core features you have, the more potential vulnerabilities you are exposed to.
In my example, it would be easy to keep the 10 core feature software up-to-date, than the 1500 core feature one. If it's easy to uninstall a plugin and get rid of its vulnerabilities, it's impossible to uninstall a core feature...
(2012-02-10, 08:09 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]You should always keep in mind that the more core features you have, the more potential vulnerabilities you are exposed to.
In my example, it would be easy to keep the 10 core feature software up-to-date, than the 1500 core feature one. If it's easy to uninstall a plugin and get rid of its vulnerabilities, it's impossible to uninstall a core feature...

I don't really know about that. XenForo has 3 confirmed bug reports (6 open reports) with tons of core features, MyBB has 16 confirmed on just the first page (139 open reports) with arguably a lot less core features. It's just all about how you implement them really. (And on top of that Xenforo only has two developers)
(2012-02-10, 08:45 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-10, 08:09 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]You should always keep in mind that the more core features you have, the more potential vulnerabilities you are exposed to.

I don't really know about that. XenForo has 3 confirmed bug reports (6 open reports) with tons of core features, MyBB has 16 confirmed on just the first page (139 open reports) with arguably a lot less core features. It's just all about how you implement them really. (And on top of that Xenforo only has two developers)

xenofobia = 6 open reports = 6 known bugs... how many SQA members do they have? How many real unknown bugs do they have?
MyBB = 139 open reports = SQA team working really hard to detect bugs..

+
You'll never make me believe that a huge software such as XF has only 6 bugs... You probably don't know PHP (PHP itself has multiple bugs)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8