MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New idea of a soft-delete feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So since the release date of MyBB 2.0 is nowhere to be seen I have been thinking of a kind of soft-delete feature for the 1.6 series to fill up the gap between MyBB 2.0.

The idea is to

1) Hide the content of a post from members
2) Lock a post from being edited and quoted

First can be achieved by I believe a custom MyCode, for instance

[softdelete]user's post[/softdelete]

Content between [softdelete] tags are only visible to moderators. The advantage of this is that moderators can write a message above the soft-deleted content to inform the users that this post has been deleted.

Example

This post has been deleted by moderator X.
Reason: Flaming

[softdelete]user content (only visible to moderators)[/softdelete]

The second part requires a plugin or code modification. It surprises me that MyBB doesn't have a post lock feature. All the big commercial forums lke IPB, vB, WBB have this feature out of the box.

So what do you think? Is this doable?
there is already a plugin for "soft delete"

http://mods.mybb.com/view/undo-delete
(2012-02-03, 08:27 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]there is already a plugin for "soft delete"

http://mods.mybb.com/view/undo-delete

Yes but this plugin and my suggestion work completly different.
I have a better implementation of soft-delete. We'll see what comes out of the pipeline in the near future.
Why do i see so many people suggest this? This is what unapprove posts does.. this is EXACTLY what unapprove posts does. why add a second function to do the same thing
(2012-02-04, 01:00 AM)USAF Wrote: [ -> ]Why do i see so many people suggest this? This is what unapprove posts does.. this is EXACTLY what unapprove posts does. why add a second function to do the same thing

Because, people are crazy. I've been saying that for a long time Toungue.

People are stuck in their ways and terminology and don't like things being a little different.
(2012-02-04, 01:00 AM)USAF Wrote: [ -> ]Why do i see so many people suggest this? This is what unapprove posts does.. this is EXACTLY what unapprove posts does. why add a second function to do the same thing

Because people like you fail to see the difference between an unapprove feature and a real soft-delete feature.

Here is some heads-up: http://community.mybb.com/thread-111401-...#pid820152

Hope it helps.
Each has their advantages and disadvantages. I mean what you delete a post that was in the middle of large thread? Seeing it listed in the trashcan can ruin the relevance of whether or not should have really been deleted (depending on the point it was posted in the thread).

The difference are minuscule ideas of preference. Both server the same basic function that regular members can't see the post and it's not gone forever either.
(2012-02-04, 07:25 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Disadvantages only apply if you use them for the wrong purpose like using the unapprove feature to soft-delete or unapprove posts by soft-deleting them. If you have both features you know when to use them. Then you have only advantages.