MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whitelist of allowed email addresses - how?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

new to MyBB, and absolutely blown away! I can not believe I did not know about MyBB for so long, bad user error on my part.

Tried searching the forums, of course, but couldn't really find my answer, so here goes:

I am setting up forums for a group of people with a known number of individuals who might want to join (around 20.000). Also, I have all their email addresses (legally!).

This makes it highly desirable for me to be able to create a whitelist of email addresses, specifying which email addresses exactly can be used to create a user account, and disallowing all other email addresses to be used.

Under these specific circumstances of this known user group, it seems the logical thing to do, and would surely provide a level of spam prevention that is unparalleled.

Is it possible to do this? How do I do it best?

THANKS!

Matt
MyBB doesn't have a whitelist system by default.

If the users are all using the same domain, e.g. a campus email, then you could use the following plugin.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/restrict-email-domains
Unfortunately, they don't, they are scattered all over the place.

There surely must be a way to rig up a system like this by using features or plugins in a creative way... please?

If not, that could be a killer criterium that prevents me from using MyBB - simply because I am in the rare and unique position to use a whitelist to keep a lot of trouble out of the forums very easily. I can't not make use of that option.

Matt
I believe the invitation only plugin is what you're looking for. That way only members with an invitation code can register.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/invitation-only

It might need a little updating, but it should work. Smile
Thanks, an invitation code might work; it's kind of redundant if I use an invitation code AND an email whitelist, so using an invitation code alone should be sufficient.

What exactly do you mean by "might need a little updating"?

Do you mean updating the plugin regularly (which I'm happy to do - as long as there are updates available)?

Or do you mean the plugin code needs to be updated (which I'm not able to do)?

Or were you referring to regularly having to update the invitation codes that have been sent out (which is fine by me)?

The rating of that plugin is not soo great right now, any idea why?

Cheers,

Matt
^ well, the plugin code needs little modifying as it was coded for an earlier version of MyBB . one need not be a coder for editing !!

see Updating your Plugins to 1.6.x , Plugin Changes coming in 1.6.5 , Script to Update Plugins for 1.6.5
(2012-02-05, 03:13 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ well, the plugin code needs little modifying as it was coded for an earlier version of MyBB . one need not be a coder for editing !!

see Updating your Plugins to 1.6.x , Plugin Changes coming in 1.6.5 , Script to Update Plugins for 1.6.5

Thanks for the pointers, but I'm not sure I'm ready to try that just yet. Will look into it though.

Cheers,

Matt