MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem when people sign up!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok when people sign up to my forum this comes up when they click submit:

Quote:Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\inc\functions.php on line 194

and they don't recieve the activtion email. Can someone please tell me how to fix it.
This error is due to a misconfigured php.ini file. You should contact your host to resolve this problem.
I am my own host, i use xampp...
Then you need to set up/configure a mail server.
1. Is that the only way I can do it by setting up a mail server.
2. How do i set up a mail server?

Is there another way people can register other than me setting up a mail server, like when you register you are registered and thats it instead of people recieveing an actvation email?
Well, first off, if you are using XAMPP, you should not have become your own web host because it appears that you may not have the necessary knowledge when it comes to running an unmanaged dedicated server. There are managed dedicated server solutions out there that may have been better suited to your needs.

What type of server are you running (Windows Server or Linux)?
Please don't judge me snakeeyes because I have asked a few questions.
I am running Windows.
If you are running a Windows server with Apache and your email is sent through an unauthenticated request you can easily reconfigure your php.ini file by editing the lines for the smtp server and port as given to you by your ISP.

Unfortunately, the Apache mod_SMTP project is still only an alpha release, so I wouldn't recommend an inexperienced host to try this.

If you do not have a mail server to relay through and you need to set up a separate mail server, please post back with that response.

Unforunately, you cannot use the built-in SMTP server that ships with Windows Server because it was designed specifically for IIS as described in MS KB article # 323436:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323436/
Right, ok, is there any other way that users can register, e.g. Users sign up and do not need an activation email.
White Monkey Wrote:Right, ok, is there any other way that users can register, e.g. Users sign up and do not need an activation email.

ACP - Boardsettings - Change - User Registration and Profile Options - Registration Method ( Instant Activation , Activation By Admin )
Pages: 1 2