MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database Restore Wiki
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I accidentally deleted some threads yesterday and want to attempt to get some of them back. My last backup was done the 4th. I've read the wiki and it says in phpMyAdmin to select the SQL tab, but that under newer versions I would see an Import tab. I took that to mean I have either or but I have both. Which should I use? The wiki is geared more toward the SQL tab from what I can tell.

I also don't understand how a database restore works. Once I follow the instructions and the restore is taking place, is it just overwriting all the files and placing the missing ones it has but doesn't see, back into the present database so that I don't lose any other posts/threads since the last backup?

I guess I'm asking if after I do the restore, all the threads SINCE the backup will still be there plus the ones I deleted that were on the last backup, correct?

I just did another complete backup of structure & data to both the server and to my own hard drive before attempting this.
yes, the basic backup and subsequent restore will overwrite the current tables with the ones of the last backup. that means any content (posts, threads, users, sessions, PMs, subscriptions,etc) will be lost.

selective restore of records is possible with a second database and a bunch of manual SQL queries.

if you think you will accidentally deleting things in the future, I suggest you look into one of the many soft delete or trashcan plugins.
(2012-02-08, 04:41 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]yes, the basic backup and subsequent restore will overwrite the current tables with the ones of the last backup. that means any content (posts, threads, users, sessions, PMs, subscriptions,etc) will be lost.

To be clear, you are saying that a backup of the 4th of this month will take the forum BACK to that point, and all content added between then and now will be lost? If that is the case I am glad I asked because I will not proceed with the backup I think. I wouldn't have guessed this for sure.

(2012-02-08, 04:41 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]if you think you will accidentally deleting things in the future, I suggest you look into one of the many soft delete or trashcan plugins.

Absolutely I did not aware of any I will investigate that.
yes, you will be back at the 4th for ALL your data. plus you will be left with orphaned attachments and avatars since those files will no longer be defined in the database.
Whewwwee. Thanks for that sobering info. No restore for me!

One other question. I was informed that the way I deleted my threads was by using a custom moderation tool. I do not doubt that because I know the experts here know what they are talking about, but I also know that *I* did not create this tool. I would *never* create a tool that allowed anyone, including myslef to delete entire threads with only two mouse clicks - literally. I don't even know how to create a custome tool. So my question is where can I find this tool, how do I delete it, and how can I find out when and by whom it was created?

I can't see anything in the admin logs that show a tool having been created, and I can't see anything under tools & maintenance that looks like a "custom tool".

I think my question was too hidden in my reply. Anyone have any ideas aboutn this?

"So my question is where can I find this tool, how do I delete it, and how can I find out when and by whom it was created?"
I don't ever bump but I'd like to get this looked at once more. Where can I find this custom tool?
ACP > Configuration > Moderator Tools
Duh. Thanks. Is there any way I can find out when/who created this tool?
ACP > Tools & Maintenance > Administrator Logs
>> Results per page > 1000 > Filter Administrator Logs
>>> Crtl + F > Added thread moderation tool

That will tell you everything you need to know.
I wasn't aware of the Crtl+F function that is very handy. I found it right away thank you.
Pages: 1 2