MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what is the best linux dis for a server ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

In your opinion, which distibution of linux is the best for a small company server ?

judge please with facts Wink
I vote CentOS due to it's stability. If you go with the minimal version it's also very small Smile
(2012-02-10, 06:39 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I vote CentOS due to it's stability. If you go with the minimal version it's also very small Smile

I have to agree. I always use CentOS for servers. It's stable, and widely used as a server.

You could also look into FreeBSD which works fairly well as a server too.
Every linux distro has its kinks and quirks, so what you really need is a competent server admin and use whatever distro he knows inside out, so he'll be able to deal with any problem that might arise.

Personally I use Debian on servers, because it's easy to install and maintain - if you are familiar with debootstrap and apt, anyway. As for kinks and quirks, Debian tends to use slightly outdated and sometimes patched software, so it's not the best choice if you want to use the very latest features in software. But the same probably is true for any other distro with a focus on "stability".

It's the reason why I don't use Debian on the desktop, I prefer Gentoo there as it gives me more up to date software and much more control over the system in general; however that's something you simply don't need for a server with a standard Apache/PHP/MySQL setup.
Business server? I'm using the default (CentOS) on my VPS server from my hosting company.

I was considering using Fedora for a personal server, then most of my computers are going Windows, so I'm going WHS 2011 for my personal server now.
WHS isn't really featured enough to warrent using it. If I need a server with a UI (For home use of course) consider SLAMPP (fairly decent)
I'll be the odd ball out and say arch but only for a personal server. Would never use it for a business site.

Hopefully archserver is finished one day though (because then I would use that for all servers).
(2012-02-10, 06:39 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I vote CentOS due to it's stability. If you go with the minimal version it's also very small Smile

(2012-02-10, 06:43 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

I have to agree. I always use CentOS for servers. It's stable, and widely used as a server.

You could also look into FreeBSD which works fairly well as a server too.

Yes, CentOS is the most popular according to "experts" at webhostingtalk.com.

#
yum install ____
Gotta' love the way dependencies (usually) are automatically taken care of. Smile

CentOS or if you can afford it RHEL.
CentOS is the best....I always use that on all my servers..
Pages: 1 2 3