MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [SOLVED]a question for the experts regarding the theme & upgrading to mybb2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya ^_^

I might be jumping the gun here, but I don't want to start my forum before I know this for sure.

When one day myBB v2 comes out, becuase I'm assuming that's the next update to myBB, will I have to redo my entire theme, templates, css, or languages. I spent a lot of time, blood, sweat, & tears replacing all the <strong>, <em>, & even some <b> tags with css, & making my theme in general & I don't want to have ot looking different all of a sudden. Will I have to redo everything when I install v2 & lose all my posts & uploaded images in the posts, or will I be able to upgrade the same as from 1605 to 1606??
You won't lose your posts or anything when you upgrade to 2.0. However, since MyBB 2.0 is a complete rewrite, no plugins or themes will work in it. Authors will have to redo them.
It's pretty obvious that you won't lose your posts and forums, otherwise no one will upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out.

Themes / Language will change for sure, they're not keeping the same theme structure. So sooner or later you will need to change that again. But I don't think that it takes so much time / tears / blood to change that honestly!
(2012-02-11, 09:11 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]It's pretty obvious that you won't lose your posts and forums, otherwise no one will upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out.

Themes / Language will change for sure, they're not keeping the same theme structure. So sooner or later you will need to change that again. But I don't think that it takes so much time / tears / blood to change that honestly!

It's just the fact that it is monotonous that I think the OP is referring to.
is it imperative that i upgrade to v2 when that comes out for security purposes or will it be alright to stick with 1606 for a bit until we get plugins like fbconnect or that "force thread post layout" thinggy for it at least??
We'll be supporting the 1.x series for a long time after 2.0 is released, including releasing security updates if required - we don't expect everyone to upgrade straight away. You'll have plenty of time to plan your upgrade.
Quote:You'll have plenty of time to plan your upgrade.

radness ^_^