MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Replaced forum status icon (on.gif) - but change not visible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

playcentreforums.co.nz/forum

I replaced the on.gif icon that shows that a forum contains new posts with a different icon image.

The image that I used is a GIF, it is exactly 22x22 pixels large, just like the original icon, and I even named it "on.gif", then ftp'd it up and replaced the original on.gif with it.

Because it's the same file name, file extension, and image size, I assumed that it should simply show up. But it doesn't.

Any ideas why?

The image is a little sunflower. If you should see a sunflower there, please let me know!

Cheers,

Matt
It visable to me.. Smile

I think it may just be a browser cache issue - try clearing your cache history and view again.

Op
Same its visible to me too make sure to delete all your cache and see what happens Smile
Oh man, I have ruled out every caching on my side, and my ISP claims they do not use any caching. Yet I have this issue every now and then, no matter which computer I use here. In this case, I even tried it through anonymouse.org, change wasn't visible there either.

Do you think it may be caching on my host's side? Although they, too, claim they do not use caching.

Thanks for your quick replies though. Seems next time some change doesn't show, I'll just have to wait a while...

THANKS!

Matt
Definitely an issue on your end. Do a hard refresh (Hold down F5) and the issue should go away.
Hi again,

it seems that by the time you and the other two above read this thread, the new version was live already (which I didn't know because I wasn't online, since I went offline soon after posting this thread).

Started a few weeks ago, this now happens every few days, and when it happens, lasts between fifteen minutes and several hours before it "goes away". Of course I have tried absolutely everything, multiple times, including what you suggested above, to sort out any possible caching problems on my side.

If you can tell me what I may be overlooking I'd be very happy to find and solve it, believe me! I'd actually be happy if it's on my side, because it would mean that I can fix it.

But how can it be an issue on my side if the same thing happens every few days even if I go to my neighbour and use their computer, different machine, different browser, even at a different IP address, and it's still the same?

To me, that makes it pretty clear that it's either my ISP or the web host caching, despite telling me that they don't.

The file is there, the transfer via FTP worked; if I copy the file back from the server to my computer and look at it, it's the correct picture. It just does not get shown "live" online in the web page.

Undecided

Of course, that's not a MyBB issue whatsoever. I only realised after posting this thread that it's this weird cache problem again. Initially, I just thought I might have put the file in the wrong place, that's why I asked here.

Cheers,

Matt