MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No Thread Subscription Instant Email Notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Members on my forum are reporting that they are not receiving instant email notifications of threads that they have subscribed to. I'm not sure where to look or what to fix...can someone point m,e in the right direction?
Run the following test;
[wiki]Mail Issues[/wiki]

If it doesn't go fine then you'll have to contact to your host.
(2012-02-13, 12:12 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Run the following test;
[wiki]Mail Issues[/wiki]

Test went good...no errors, however I didn't get an email in my inbox. My host said there are no restrictions on php email since I have a dedicated server.

^ have you also checked the spam folder of your email ...
(2012-02-13, 03:47 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ have you also checked the spam folder of your email ...
Yes...no email in my junk folders.
If you haven't received the test email then it's an issue with your host and not MyBB.
What should I tell them to check? Here is the results of my testing:

I can receive PM notifications and I received a thread subscription notification on my test account. Many members are saying they can get PM notifications but no thread sub notifications? This is weird!
Just to be clear, if it works for me it should work for other members, correct? I have been testing and I get email notifications every time in my inbox but there are several members complaining that they do not receive any emails. Could it be their cookie settings or something?
I'm having a similar problem. None of us were getting emails, and that was because I didn't have the email settings right. However, I've gotten that straightened out now; we're not getting errors in the system mail log anymore. We're still not getting notifications, though.
Never mind. I didn't do anything more, and it started working. I guess there was just a little delay. Smile
(2012-02-13, 12:12 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Run the following test;
[wiki]Mail Issues[/wiki]

That link leads to an empty page. I assume the intended page is this one?:

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Help:Mail

Even so, I made the .php mail file and it sent without error. Then I tried to edit the inc/functions.php file but there are a couple issues:

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

...isn't what is in the file. It is:

my_mail($to, $subject, $message, $from="", $charset="", $headers="", $keep_alive=false, $format="text", $message_text="", $return_email="")

...but I assume this is still the intended place to enter the new suggested code:

ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");

...but doing so returns an error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting '&' or T_VARIABLE in - on line 418

...line 418 is where the new code appears.

I am using MyBB 1.6.6 and suspect this solution was for an older version? What is the current solution?
I want to add, the behavior I see is that private messages initiate automatic notification e-mails, and it seems as though using the "Reply" button within a particular post/message does work properly as well, but replying either via the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the thread or the thread's "New Reply" button do not send e-mail notifications.

Are we sure this is not something in the MyBB code? Just because the PHP e-mail test properly sends an e-mail doesn't mean that MyBB always properly requests PHP to send an e-mail, and as I mentioned above, clearly part of the code which pertains to this has changed.