MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Add custom text to the forum index page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

First and foremost, MyBB is awesome and I love it! I just installed it for the first time ever and find it a breath of fresh air after struggling without success to understand the PHPBB permission system.

I would like to add some kind of custome text to the front page of the forum without creating a separate front page manually. I just want to welcome people and tell them the purpose of the forum. This is for the users and also so the search engines will be able to get an idea how to rank the page. I've looked for a plugin and on the wiki but haven't been successful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am not a Master in this but I started researching and had come across what you need
Try going to
Admin Control Panel (ACP) ==> Templates & Style ==> Your Current Theme ==> Index Page Templates ==>Index

And carefully add the required Content there...

Hope this is the answer to your question??
OR you may add a header announcements plugin (eg.) AND add required information in it ...
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I use a screen reader to access my browser as I'm blind, and I find that the JavaScript edit box provided to edit the template doesnt' play nice with my software, I guess because it's not a traditional <textarea> based box. I wonder where I can find this file on the server so I can use a regular text editor to put in my changes. If I'm going to do that, then I would rather put the text in one of the language pack files as a variable and then call it in the appropriate place. The header plugin looks like a bit more idiot-proof solution, but wouldn't adding a message to the header break things if it's too long?
^ though you can use it from language variable , its better to use a plugin based method .. and adding large text need not disturb header ..
Hi. I don't find the header announcement plugin is what ai need. I've tried the Board Message plugin but find that it's buggy and doesn't work. Welcome Box plugin is ditto. All I want to do is introduce the website and explain its purpose on the front page of the board. The board is on my web root. I don't want to point to a new page. I want to add introductory text to the front page of the message board. I've done more searches on the wiki and google than I can count and I'm getting frustrated. If there's no plugin that will do this reliably, then where is the location of the file for the Index Pages > Index template so that I can grab it with a text editor and do it manually?
I have a group message plugin that allows you to display custom HTML to differnet groups on in the index page.
The link is in my signiture.

Or here: http://bit.ly/yG9aV7
That Group Message plugin does just what I need with no muss or fuss! Thanks much! Thanks to all who were kind enough to answer me. This was my very first thread on this forum. I hope I can be so helpful when I get good at this! TTFN
No problem. Let me know if you have any problems.