MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IP Address banning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I banned a particular IP address from my board on 15th Feb, the ip being 78.109.114.152, but someone accessed from the same IP today (17th Feb)...How is this possible?

Screenshot attached
how are you confirmed that user with banned ip address accessed the forum ... banned message is shown throughout the forum
(2012-02-17, 07:38 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]how are you confirmed that user with banned ip address accessed the forum ... banned message is shown throughout the forum

coz he registered - that is how I found out his IP add the second time and then I matched it to find that it's already in the banned list
The IP ban works pretty well on most systems I have used on. Please check that you are not using a plugin that might be interfering with the ip ban facility. A good way is to temporarily ban an ip of proxy and use it to access your site and see if you get the banned message, if you don't then try again after disabling the plugins.
The only plugin I use concerning IP's is the No Proxy Plugin - others have nothing to do with IP add's...
He visited the forum at that time. The IP address bans don't stop users from coming back to your website - it just displays a message for only their IP address which they can't avoid.

Unless he posted under that IP you don't have anything to worry about.
You can consider testing this yourself by using a proxy website, banning the proxy website's IP (by finding out what it's IP is in the first place), then try visiting your website from the proxy.

(2012-02-18, 09:02 PM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]He visited the forum at that time. The IP address bans don't stop users from coming back to your website - it just displays a message for only their IP address which they can't avoid.

Unless he posted under that IP you don't have anything to worry about.
You can consider testing this yourself by using a proxy website, banning the proxy website's IP (by finding out what it's IP is in the first place), then try visiting your website from the proxy.

ok, but can he register from a banned IP?
^ No, banned IP user should not be able to re-register from a banned IP address .. it appears to be plugin related issue ..