MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I determine performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, just installed myBB. I'm on shared hosting with godaddy, running Windows. I have ONE user (admin). I'm going through the configurations, and I get 30 second times to save a configuration setting. I change one setting on the same page, and now it takes 9 seconds. The performance I am seeing with no forums, simply changing settings, scares me. What I intend to use it for (to replace a NING site) is way to slow. NING is by no means a speed demon, but I have less than 100 users (maybe 20 regular users with hopes for a nicer interface leading to more) and it will turn off my members.

(as an example, I selected preview for this post, and it took more than 8 seconds to display the preview. Is that normal?Sad)

So, what do I check to separate myBB tuning versus my host sucks?
URL:nhpnetwork.org/forums/
As I said, the admin account is the only registered user, there are all defaults only, gzip is on, no icons, avatars or images. I like what this could do for me, but not with this level of performance. Where do I go to see if there is a problem and where the problem is so I can fix it?
Thanks
Huh
MySQL and PHP will both run better on a Linux server, is switching an option?
Yes, but that wasn't the question. I don't want to change anything until I have some kind of metric as to what I should expect. I'm not going to invest in changing to linux if I can't get some idea of what performance will be. As an example, when I click on preview post for this post, it took 11 seconds to display the preview. That seems slow to me.

I just want something to base my performance on. I want to be able to determine if it is myBB settings or my host.

GoDaddy are not a good host; if you are having performance problems it's pretty much always the host. I mean 30 seconds to save the settings is just not an issue with MyBB's coding, saving the settings hardly even does anything. Post the debug stats from the footer of the forum here.
Here is a simple example. I log in as admin account, I go to Configuration>General Settings. I click Save. I timeout repeatedly with errors in multiple modules, this is an EXAMPLE of the timeout messages
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Hosting\8934813\html\forums\inc\languages\english\messages.lang.php on line 9

I keep hitting back button and reselecting Save. It finally saves and returns to Configuration page, here is debug from bottom of page.

Generated in 16.6662300 seconds with 9 queries. Memory Usage: 3.75 MB

IF it's my host, tell me what I complain to them about. I can't say "it's slow", that is a waste of time. Is there a statistic there that proves there is an issue? If I go to the root folder of the host (nhpnetwork.org) I get there immediately. If I go to nhpnetwork.org/forums/ it may take several tries (multiple fatal errors) before I get to the board.
yes, the fact that its loading slow.. GoDaddy aren't amazing or even good for that matter.. i have a server which 6 cores and it loads apache like litespeed Smile 0.2-4 seconds to load and you're getting 16 seconds to load.. wow, i would just ask them nicely, why is it slow.. maybe there is a network problem..
Or maybe it is your ISP, as i am loading your board pretty fast.
My ISP is TWC. My upload is .95mps, download is 8+mps. I need more than "pretty please" for my host, what stat most demonstrates that the host is slow so I can ask an intelligent question of them? I have done Tier1-3 support, "it's slow" comments get you nowhere.

I'm not thrilled with TWC, but I do not have a better choice in my area. I don't have a reason to suspect them to be the issue, but I will try the same access from a different network in a different part of town later today to see if the results appear to be the same.
oh well i have 60mbit ethernet connections, The host will not be 'slow'. It may just be a temporary network problem on their end.. like i mentioned, the forum is loading fine for me.. i noticed. it takes a while to load but when it actually loads, its fast once your on the forum.. strange, hmmm.. GoDaddy are not slow nor fast... maybe you can move host? I recommend Byethost as their support is great and professional and they answer anything, and i mean.. ANYTHING Toungue

May i ask how much traffic you are planning on getting over the first year or so?
There are no stats which shows how slow it is apart from uptime & website load times..

I just found this, http://gyazo.com/f818fd9eee4b089d6083c0988f554c43..

The server you are apparently hosted on has more than 15 million websites on it.. to me that's hugely over crowding servers
I was after the debug stats from the footer of the forum itself, not the admin. It just sounds like this server is either badly configured or oversold and is just working like hell. For that page to be taking 16 seconds to load is ridiculous.
Like i said, WHOIS is reporting the server to have 15 million websites/domains hosted on it, definitely oversold.
Pages: 1 2