MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Settings of "View new posts"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

something has been annoying me for ages is the way "View new posts" works. A lot of people in my forum, including myself, use it to see what has been going on at a glance, BUT... when you have made a query you have committed yourself meaning that whether or not you view all the threads with new messages, they will disappear from the search in a little while (not immediately, though). In other words, if I check and notice there is a long list of messages and then look only at a few leaving the rest for later, when click again on "view new messages" a couple of hours later (or whatever), the list will have gone or will have been replaced with a more recent one.
Is there a way to customize the way this button works? If anything it would be good to make the list with the unread threads "last" for longer.

Am I making any sense?Smile

TIA
I agree the way the New Posts operates needs to be improved. Every other forum software I've ever used will show at least 100 or so recent threads that have posts which you have not read.

IMHO the View New Posts is broken in MyBB and considering this is one of the most important function in a forum, I would call it a critical shortcoming.
(2012-10-01, 07:48 PM)Andy Wrote: [ -> ]I agree the way the New Posts operates needs to be improved. Every other forum software I've ever used will show at least 100 or so recent threads that have posts which you have not read.

IMHO the View New Posts is broken in MyBB and considering this is one of the most important function in a forum, I would call it a critical shortcoming.

Obviously not a top priority at MyBB...
(2012-10-01, 08:52 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously not a top priority at MyBB...

Perhaps we are suppose to use both View New Posts and View Today's Posts to be able to see all recent posts.
No, it doesn't work either as if I have not viewed any post for more than (say) 24 hours I am back to square one.
(2012-10-01, 10:17 PM)Arka Wrote: [ -> ]No, it doesn't work either as if I have not viewed any post for more than (say) 24 hours I am back to square one.

Sorry it's not clear what you mean by this.

View Today's Posts shows all threads that have posts added from the last 24 hours. Those posts which you have not read will also be in bold.

But really the View New Posts when working properly is similar to the View Today's Posts, but those threads that you have viewed should not be shown.
This is still happening, when you press view new post sometimes only three or so results will show. When in fact there should be several pages worth, and if you select view today's post, you will get your two page view. This can be deceiving as it hides many new threads. The only away around this is to select view today's threads. It almost as if there is a time limit on how long new post remain shown on the view new post section. I am actively having a problem with this.
This thread is very old, but I'll throw in some input.

View New Posts shows posts since your last visit. Leaving the page idle for more than 15 minutes (I think that is the default) it will consider you as having started a new visit/session and all posts prior to your last pageview will not show up.

As mentioned, you can use Daily Posts to get the last 24 hours worth.
I believe it is undocumented, but I noticed the other day that you can provide getdaily with several parameters, such as limiting it to a few forums (search.php?action=getdaily&fid=12 OR search.php?action=getdaily&fids=12,13,14) as well as a number of days (search.php?action=getdaily&days=10. Also supported by getnew).
That are some interesting details Cameron, wonders me why such handy features aren't really well documented.