MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to copy entire mybb install to another site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can I copy the entire message board onto another site and have it run as if it was set up separately there? I have a forum with themes and plugins that I want and I want to copy it to a new url and then delete the user names and posts to start over while leaving the original install on the original domain intact.

I tried to just copy the director and it appeared to work but it just sort of links back with the original. I'm thinking it must be database issues and it will be more complicated than just copying the files. How can I do this? Thanks!
I believe you could make a backup of your database, and go into your phpmyadmin and import it (Remember to create a new database 1st on the new URL, than transfer the files of the backup). Than transfer all the files their and began the process of removing the users. (I think you could remove the users in the database but I'm not sure)

I would wait for someone to reply because I am not 100% sure on this.
cPanel>FileManager>Go into mybb directory>Select All>Compress>Download the zip

cPanel>Phpmyadmin>Click your database>Click export>Ok

On new host or account;

cPanel>FileManager>Go into where you want mybb to be>Upload>Upload the zip>Extract

cPanel>SQL Databases>Create a database>create user with all powers>PhpMyAdmin>Click the db you just made>import>import the db you downloads.

Then go into config.php and change the db username and password.

To delete members, go into phpmyadmin and go to mybb_users and delete all of them apart from you.

I do not know how to do posts.

This is how i did it, hope this helped.
Bare in mind, the theme may be messed. All i did if this happened was change the theme to something else then back to whatever was messed up OR wait for the cache to reset.
Thanks for these replies. If anyone has any other advice about how to do this that would be great. I just want to make sure I am doing it the easiest way so that I don't mess everything up.
I just told you the way to do it in the most simplest way.. if you cant do what i shown then WOW.

You can not possibly mess it up considering you make backups.. xD
(2012-02-19, 05:28 PM)AlliedManiac Wrote: [ -> ]I just told you the way to do it in the most simplest way.. if you cant do what i shown then WOW.

You can not possibly mess it up considering you make backups.. xD

Thanks you for your help as this is surely the correct way to do it since it covers all the (data!) bases. I did it. The database info and usernames are all correct. But the site acts like it did before when I just copied the files without the database. I can't even login. It will say I was successful but then it goes back to the main page and I am not logged in. When I go to register a new user from the front end it brings me to the site I copied it from. The two are still linked or something. Any advice?
Search led to this thread, thanks for making it.

(2012-02-19, 06:59 AM)AlliedManiac Wrote: [ -> ]cPanel>FileManager>Go into mybb directory>Select All>Compress>Download the zip

The choice at cPanel for file directories is...
1. Home Directory
2. Web Root (public_html/www)
3. Public FTP Root (public_ftp)
4. Document Root for:

Which one would be the "mybb directory" ?
I've attempted this and like the OP, I can't log in. The site is there but I can't log in as a user or as admin. For the admin panel, it takes me to the main interface but when I click on a tab, it takes me back to login. For the forum, it says I've logged in, takes me back to the front page and then I'm not logged in. I don't get a password error message. I've tried it with a wrong password and I do get a password error message.

Found the solution. Wrong cookie settings. Fixed it.