MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what is difference between theme and template?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all,

what is difference between theme and template?

how templates are rendering/displyaing and html is generated on mybb pages like index and showthread etc.
basically saying, theme is styling part including images and templates consist of html code and both are interrelated !!
when we refer to a theme for MyBB, it is xml file which consists of style part (css) and the templates code with images ...

MyBB's system files use the xml file while adding a theme .. see also [Wiki: Templates_and_Themes] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
if i am want to update html css style or i have to add a new block for post related advertisement ( i will make it a custom section ) like in side bar on index page,

how i will change template etc .

any example, any hint, any tutorial, any idea .. ?
we add required modifications directly to the templates either manually OR thru plug-ins
(related style may be added to existing global.css OR extra css files)

if I remember correctly, you already have some experience with plugins - however this is the basic guide ; see also getting started with plugins
yes, i have added , some variables in themes,

but now i am moved to styling and theming, i dont know how to integrate the new html and css using themes.

on some occasion/points i have to add some extra blocks or div's for specific purposes.

however thanks for help. if i get some thing i will share for all the people a how to guide for theming and templatting.

i have worked on file based and master layout based UI's. it is first chance for such strange and db based work. even i am not getting templates at all.... this approach..