MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Template inconsistencies throughout MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whilst coding a recent theme, I realised just how many style inconsistencies there are throughout the MyBB core. I've already brought up the lack of indentation within certain templates in the past, but this is a different matter entirely. Let's take the report post set of templates as an example. Open up any one and I think you'll see what I'm getting at. The .thead class used throughout the rest of the core system to indicate a title of a table is not to be seen at all. Instead, it's replace by a simple

<br />
<br />
<strong>{$lang->report_error}</strong>

within a single TD. Why? Why do this when it makes no sense and goes against the rest of the core's styling? It may well be a little late in the 1.6.x lifespan to go through fixing all the effected templates (and there are a fair few - this isn't the only inconsistency I've found), but it's still rather annoying for anybody creating a theme who wants to have a good uniform style throughout.
Probably because it was written a long time ago and whoever did it just chose to do it like that; it's unlikely there's an actual reason for it. We all know the theme isn't the best piece of HTML ever written. As you said, there's not a lot we can do about it now, regardless of whether we'd want to or not.
Is there any possibility that anybody could submit a corrected version of the default theme for addition? It would save a lot of time for theme developers who base themes off the default templates as they wouldn't have to go through and correct every template.
Take my word for it, MyBB 1.X is one of the most consistent software platforms I've ever worked with. There are indeed a few that are a bit annoying, but on the large scope of things its very very easy to use.

There are some web software platforms where I already have a few hundred lines of code lined up just to fix the inconsistencies. And some of these are paid platforms. I have a lot of respect for the 1.X team.

No one would argue that 1.6 design characteristics and code have run their course, but that is through no fault of the original intention, rather the fact that design and code expectations change. 2.0 I'm sure will be tableless and quite consistent, Justin pays a lot of attention to detail.
Yeah, I know other platforms can be just as inconsistent and sometimes, as you pointed out, even more so. I expect nothing less from 2.0 Wink I know just how good Justin is having seen some of his past work - same with you yourself. Anyway, you can probably close this topic now. There's not exactly a great deal more to be gained from leaving it open.