MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User Tagging Incorporated Plugin in 2.0!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi @guys!
I'd really like if there would be integrated the User Tagging plugin like in vBulletin in 2.0! I think that people like tagging people on messages with @ and when they do so, the person that was tagged should receive a PM and every one could visit his/her profile by clicking the tagged username on the message. There is already a plugin for 1.6 called "User Tagging" but I think it would be cool if this function will be default in 2.0!

What do you think about it?
Not mandatory and not needed as a core feature.90% of forum users dosen't even care about about that.The last thing that you want is spam in your pm inbox with title <user x> has tagged you,<user y> has tagged you,<user z> has tagged you,even on social networks that feature is getting annoying over time.

If you want to visit user profile just open memberlist and search for specific username.
(2012-02-21, 09:03 PM)Johnny S Wrote: [ -> ]Not mandatory and not needed as a core feature.90% of forum users dosen't even care about about that.The last thing that you want is spam in your pm inbox with title <user x> has tagged you,<user y> has tagged you,<user z> has tagged you,even on social networks that feature is getting annoying over time.

If you want to visit user profile just open memberlist and search for specific username.

Whenever i use a forum with such tagging feature, i tend to use it most of the times. I don't really think 90% of users won't use it. And it doesn't have to be shown in PM's. Just a separate page which displays all of our tags, and in welcomeblock, a small notification like "Tags(12)" would be good.

We normally reply to specific user most of the times, and everytime the person we addressed won't have any idea that we replied to him until he checks the topic.

I know this would cost lot of server resources in Big boards, but i'm pretty sure if this is implemented it would have an option to switch it off (like all other MyBB features).
As much as I love this idea (And would use it all the time), I don't think it should be part of the core release. Just don't personally think it'll be used a whole lot.
(2012-02-22, 02:22 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]As much as I love this idea (And would use it all the time), I don't think it should be part of the core release. Just don't personally think it'll be used a whole lot.

We do use it a lot of times. Whenever we reply to two or more persons, we used to say @Person1, @person2, etc; Won't it b more convenient if we have this option.
Yeah! But PM's should be able to be turned off.
(2012-02-22, 03:49 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah! But PM's should be able to be turned off.

No need for PM's (having a PM sent for every tag will be annoying). Just a page where people can see their recent tags could be better.

And as you said, it should have a Turn off feature so that people can choose not to use it in their board.
(2012-02-22, 03:54 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-22, 03:49 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah! But PM's should be able to be turned off.

No need for PM's (having a PM sent for every tag will be annoying). Just a page where people can see their recent tags could be better.

And as you said, it should have a Turn off feature so that people can choose not to use it in their board.

I agree it is annoying but it is also the only notification system available in MyBB and surely i will not be creating another "more intuitive" and eye-appealing with one planned for MyBB 2.0, that would be a waste of time. Smile

But if some developers writes a notification system with exposable API, i will be happy to add such a setting in my plugin!
It'd be nice if I tagged say Kavin [tag kavin] That his name would show uphighlighted. That'd be cool.
(2012-02-29, 05:58 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]It'd be nice if I tagged say Kavin [tag kavin] That his name would show uphighlighted. That'd be cool.
You can customize the appareance of tags via Settings panel Big Grin
Pages: 1 2