MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP vs. HTML
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am building my club's website. I have no experience what so ever in PHP and the basics in HTML. I usually use Blue-Voda, copy the HTML Code off there, paste it into the HTML Editor I use, upload it to my website directory where I want it, and bam! Makes me a perfect website. Using Image Buttons, over laying text on it, it makes it even better.

But I've seen people use PHP before. What are the advantages of PHP over HTML and vise versa. Someone should create a drag-and-drop PHP Website maker. Blue-Voda never lets me integrate forms, therefore I can't put forms into my website that actually do anything. I mean I can, but they don't submit anything.

I think some of the PHP Developers here should create a PHP drag and drop software. Last time I used "Nuke" it made me sick as you couldn't customize it and phpBB is next to impossible to operate.

phpBB is really next to impossible to operate. It took me hours to figure out how to just add a single forum. phpBB is the most boring software, it was like it was made fore business people. SMF is more custom and easier to use, but still sort of on the edge for business people. MyBB on the other hand is neat, easy to use, very customizable. MyBB has always came through on my web projects that include a forum and include smart support staff that will respond to your post in a flash. Keep up the GREAT work and can't wait until 2.0 release! Wink
HTML is like human skin, whereas PHP is like heart, brain, etc;

And PHP is something that should be learned and worked on. A drag and drop interface for it (although i don't think its possible), won't make you a good programmer.

The best way is to learn a programming language and work on it, rather than using drag and drop stuffs like Bluevoda.
You cannot compare PHP with HTML, they are completely different serving two different functions and most importantly, you cannot replace HTML with PHP or PHP with HTML. I recommend reading about the two in detail and understanding what each of them are for and how they can be used.

PHP: http://www.php.net/manual/en/intro-whatcando.php
HTML: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML
The comparison is impossible, you can't build a website in PHP if you don't know HTML, and you can't build a dynamic website with HTML only..

HTML is a markup language used to build static webpages. PHP is a programming language used to make the HTML webpages dynamic. They are two different things.
(2012-02-22, 06:33 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]The comparison is impossible, you can't build a website in PHP if you don't know HTML, and you can't build a dynamic website with HTML only..

HTML is a markup language used to build static webpages. PHP is a programming language used to make the HTML webpages dynamic. They are two different things.

This...
Also, if you don't really get the picture, imagine HTML is your program window, everything displayed, all the buttons and such are HTML, but everything the program does is PHP, and the program controls what it displays to you.
Think of it like a Oil painting.

HTML is the oil paint, the canvas and the frame.

PHP is the artist that made it. Without an artist the canvas stays blank. Without PHP a web page stays static.

If you want a dynamic web page, you need PHP (or some other server side scripting or jquery/AJAX).
To be fair you don't NEED PHP to develop a website, so that analogy is pretty confusing.

But yes, if you want to display dynamic content, that requires server side actions (which PHP helps accomplish).

Displaying static content can be done purely in HTML - it won't be the best, but you don't need to over complicate things if you don't know how to do it.
(2012-02-22, 10:09 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Think of it like a Oil painting.

HTML is the oil paint, the canvas and the frame.

PHP is the artist that made it. Without an artist the canvas stays blank. Without PHP a web page stays static.

If you want a dynamic web page, you need PHP (or some other server side scripting or jquery/AJAX).

HTML is the design that the browser understands and shows to the user. It is client-side script. While php is the code that is processed at the server, for example, retrieving data from the database or validating the username and password.
If you want to learn more about php go to http://www.techyv.com/questions/what-php...at-its-use