MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Apple Antitrust?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Yay Android. Where you can develop and sell without being charged and rooting is legal.
(2012-02-23, 12:13 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Yay Android. Where you can develop and sell without being charged and rooting is legal.

Android requires a $25 up-front developer publishing fee.
(2012-02-23, 12:13 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Yay Android. Where you can develop and sell without being charged and rooting is legal.

Jailbreaking is legal. That's my problem. If jailbreaking was illegal, then I'd say apple is within its rights to implement features to prevent it.
(2012-02-23, 12:14 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]

Jailbreaking is legal. That's my problem. If jailbreaking was illegal, then I'd say apple is within its rights to implement features to prevent it.

Don't forget they can legally still not support you if you're jailbroken. So technically, your argument is invalid.
So by buying the device am i not entitled to use the device in any way I want? Considering I've paid for it. So, is apple stupid enough to lose out on this much revenue? No. Apple will continue to serve jailbroken devices with apps because it makes sense. On the first weekend of the A5 Absinthe launch over 1 million devices were jailbroken. What would be the point in denying that many users?

As the owner, I should have the right to choose which distribution platform to use. Just because my device is jailbroken, doesn't mean it's any less secure or any different to a non jailbroken device. Apple use the "piracy" argument every time. I jailbroken purely for a new theme, more than 12 icons in a folder and ifile. I like being able to see my filesystem. Why should that affect my streaming capabilities.

It's not about protecting IP any more, it's about control and dominance.
(2012-02-23, 12:22 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]So by buying the device am i not entitled to use the device in any way I want? Considering I've paid for it. So, is apple stupid enough to lose out on this much revenue? No. Apple will continue to serve jailbroken devices with apps because it makes sense. On the first weekend of the A5 Absinthe launch over 1 million devices were jailbroken. What would be the point in denying that many users?

As the owner, I should have the right to choose which distribution platform to use. Just because my device is jailbroken, doesn't mean it's any less secure or any different to a non jailbroken device. Apple use the "piracy" argument every time. I jailbroken purely for a new theme, more than 12 icons in a folder and ifile. I like being able to see my filesystem. Why should that affect my streaming capabilities.

It's not about protecting IP any more, it's about control and dominance.

Actually, there is a exploit you can use on iDevice's jailbroken with Redsnow to get past the passcode and turn it off from inside Terminal.
And there are numerous exploits in ops that allow the jailbreak to work in the first place.

Absinthe automatically patches the exploits it uses. On that front, jailbroken devices are more secure.
(2012-02-23, 12:26 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]And there are numerous exploits in ops that allow the jailbreak to work in the first place.

Absinthe automatically patches the exploits it uses. On that front, jailbroken devices are more secure.

I actually laughed at this post.
(2012-02-23, 12:33 AM)WebOutfit Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-23, 12:26 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]And there are numerous exploits in ops that allow the jailbreak to work in the first place.

I actually laughed at this post.
Do explain why. iOS on a jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 iPad has less exploits than a standard 5.0.1 build, because the exploits used by absinthe are patched - by absinthe Wink so now, any rogue program can no longer use those code exploits. Why do you think apple is clambering to employ jailbreak devs?
(2012-02-23, 12:14 AM)WebOutfit Wrote: [ -> ]

Android requires a $25 up-front developer publishing fee.

Not to mention you have to pay Microsoft for your android.

TIZEN OR WEBOS FTW!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5