MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Installation Headache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, first post from a first time MYBB user.

I'm sure its a super piece of kit but I cannot get anything to work.

I got everything uploaded ok and can get into my admin control panel no problem, but as soon as I hit 'view forum' or try entering the forum url, all I can get is -

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So I tried uninstalling and re-installing as someone else on here had tried, but I'm getting the exact same error again.

Any ideas please?
Link to website please.
Are you sure you placed the files in the /forum directory?
(2012-02-26, 02:15 AM)ebildude123 Wrote: [ -> ]Link to website please.
Are you sure you placed the files in the /forum directory?

The main website itself contains some very mild adult content, so I'm reluctant to post it in the open.
But yes its definitely in the /forum directory as the admin cp is reached via website.com/forum/admin

Have you checked the chmode settings for the "forum" directory? Make sure it's readable and that you don't have any .htaccess files blocking this directory.
(2012-02-26, 03:10 AM)Known Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked the chmode settings for the "forum" directory? Make sure it's readable and that you don't have any .htaccess files blocking this directory.

Cmods all set to 777 and no htaccess files that I can find.

I've had SMF and PHbb forums all working in the past and never had this problem before.

All set up as per the installation instructions in the MYBB docs.

Got all of the preceding problem sorted out thanks to GoDaddy who pointed out that there was a wrongly named file.

However, I'm finding the usage of MYBB to be a nightmare in that if you leave any page, admin panel or forum page, on your browser for more than half a minute or so, on trying to navigate to another location, I'm getting a generic 'cannot display the webpage' message - on a refresh, the page is then loading properly. Is this a known fault with a fix?

The error is on IE8, windowsXP32bit.

I'm not really interested in trying loads of other browsers out to see which ones work better, as the vast majority of our users will be using IE, but for info - Google Chrome is exactly the same.