MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1 log in 2 forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have 2 forums on my website, I'd like it so that if you register for one, you are already registered on the other forum as well. Is there any way to do that and is it an easy task?
Is there no way to do this? Over 6000 views and nobody can give me a yes or no?
(2012-02-28, 01:52 AM)YinWhite Wrote: [ -> ]I have 2 forums on my website, I'd like it so that if you register for one, you are already registered on the other forum as well. Is there any way to do that and is it an easy task?

Not without many, many core edits. Even then you'd run into issues.

(2012-02-29, 10:48 PM)YinWhite Wrote: [ -> ]Is there no way to do this? Over 6000 views and nobody can give me a yes or no?

There's many spiders and bots which crawl the forums, including Twitter bots which can drive a lot of traffic to the site. That's the reason why the view count is so high.
Thank you for answering! I'm not a coder by any means, so I think I'll just leave it as is.
I've done this on test forums w/ no core file edits.
The parts which most people would consider difficult were not really that hard*, but you still end up with many details which have to be dealt with (ie. links to update passwords/email/username, register only at the master site, etc, etc)

*Not "really that hard", if you have time to invest, think creatively, never give up, etc.
Oh, I have nothing but time, I just don't possess the skill. What files would I need to edit?
(2012-03-02, 05:06 AM)YinWhite Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I have nothing but time, I just don't possess the skill. What files would I need to edit?

OK, here: [Tutorial] Sync your users with another MyBB board*

*It's a bit much for some people, but works really well. Smile
ps. The list of columns to sync is a fairly detailed example, but you could make changes...

This sounds like it's just what I need! If I put this code in both of my forums will this make both of the forums master forums? So it won't matter where they log in or register, they'd be logged in/registered to both?

I also found a tutorial about making a log in form on a website and making it auto log in to the forum. Would that be able to work with this?
(2012-03-02, 04:47 PM)YinWhite Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds like it's just what I need! If I put this code in...my forums

FYI:
The code in the tutorial doesn't go "in your forum" (not in the web accessible path), it's 'server stuff' (syncing selected db columns)

(2012-03-02, 04:47 PM)YinWhite Wrote: [ -> ]...both of the forums master forums?

Not a good idea. User-sync is much more practical if you choose 1 master; You can have multiple 'slaves'.

I also found a tutorial about making a log in form on a website and making it auto log in to the forum. Would that be able to work with this?

Yes.