MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Easier Theming in the ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As Scoutie said it's not the most complicated thing in the world and it will give theme developers a tool to take advantage of as well. I highly recommend some of you look at some drupal themes that support the color module and try it out. It's a simple feature that can be used past the default theme.
(2012-02-29, 01:11 AM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]@Kavin
MyBB could spend hours coding this colour picker in to the default version of MyBB, only for a themer to choose a colour then copy paste the same hex code for all instances he wants it - or MyBB can stay how it is, the devs don't have to code it in and the themer can still copy paste the hex code wherever he wants it.

Basically it's just coding in a colour picker - there's no point, where someone can use a online colour picker or paint, gimp or photoshop to get #ffffff and copy paste it in. It could be x number of lines added to MyBB and its load time to get #ffffff or keep it as <input type="textbox" /> for them to get #ffffff.

Waste of code, imho.
Is about 1/8 of a second of processing a huge deal for the convenience? XenForo has it, and I can't distinguish the speed difference whatsoever.

I am sorry to not link to mybb, but to support my point, see http://demo.xenforo.com/112/ . I customized it, and the only thing stopping an instant load is the like, +, and other social buttons.
The link will die in 2 days, btw.
This would have virtually no impact on loading speed. If done properly it's a one time deal. No more intensive than updating the theme cache when push comes to shove.
(2012-02-29, 01:11 AM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]@Kavin
MyBB could spend hours coding this colour picker in to the default version of MyBB, only for a themer to choose a colour then copy paste the same hex code for all instances he wants it - or MyBB can stay how it is, the devs don't have to code it in and the themer can still copy paste the hex code wherever he wants it.

Basically it's just coding in a colour picker - there's no point, where someone can use a online colour picker or paint, gimp or photoshop to get #ffffff and copy paste it in. It could be x number of lines added to MyBB and its load time to get #ffffff or keep it as <input type="textbox" /> for them to get #ffffff.

Waste of code, imho.

Nah. How i wish it to be is different. Currently when we edit a stylesheet (eg: global.css) in simple mode, it displays background color, link color ect in separate input fields. Why can't we have a color picker for it, instead of the user manually copying hex codes around?
(2012-02-29, 01:11 AM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]Waste of code, imho.

The single reason why we have good software and bad software is because some people go "I will spend my time and implement this feature for my user's convience" and others go "waste of code".

As Apple shows to us, allowing user to do something and allowing him to do something faster makes great difference in this competitive market.

Also sorry, I take option to change one color globally from single input over analyzing theme CSS and finding out if this HEX is logically same hex as other one, or I should leave it alone.
Pages: 1 2