MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks

Can I just ask a question which will help me greatly to get the subject of upgrading clear and straight in my head?

Is it true to say that If I follow the instructions and run an upgrade, this upgrade only updates the Default set? It doesn't alter any separate customised theme and template files I may have created? So this means I could then create a new custom set from the updated/upgraded default files and move people across to that set?

I've just realised that was more than one question, sorry!

Bugsley
upgrading process does not do anything to your customized themes & templates ..
Thanks Ranjani - now I understand!

Some rep for you Big Grin
But in case if it does then you have a "Find Updated Templates" tool in AdminCP > Themes from where you can see if any template changed.
find updated templates : allows to find changed templates in new versions of MyBB so we can properly apply the changes ..

eg. if there was version 1603 of a java script in headerinclude template then upgrade script does not change it to version 1606
find updated templates helps us to find that change and we can edit headerinclude template to change that version number ..
(2012-03-01, 12:19 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]find updated templates : allows to find changed templates in new versions of MyBB so we can properly apply the changes ..

eg. if there was version 1603 of a java script in headerinclude template then upgrade script does not change it to version 1606
find updated templates helps us to find that change and we can edit headerinclude template to change that version number ..

I was basically planning on upgrading, then developing a new set of custom files using a copy of the upgraded default files. Whilst I was developing this I was going to leave the forum members on the old custom theme (not upgraded) until the new one was ready.

Does this sound like a plan? Huh

^ well, you can do it as you like . basically MyBB upgrade script does not do any changes to your existing themes ..
(2012-03-02, 07:22 PM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]^ well, you can do it as you like . basically MyBB upgrade script does not do any changes to your existing themes ..

Thanks Ranjani - your advice has been very helpful!